CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

All those naughty goodies...

Go down 
+3
FrostWolf
Sexiest_hero
Marc
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

All those naughty goodies... Empty
PostSubject: All those naughty goodies...   All those naughty goodies... EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 12:26 pm

While I truly believe the current edition of Warhammer Fantasy Battle is a nice balanced/fair core ruleset, what makes players frustrated at times are the quirky items that break that core (ala "broken") framework. As of late army-wide rules (or Hydras :p) have entered the fray, but I'd like to limit the discussion on which magic items/combos have squeezed by playtesters and now cannot help but draw sighs and eyerolls from you players.

Last edited by Marc on Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
Sexiest_hero
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: All those naughty goodies...   All those naughty goodies... EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 2:45 pm

Daemon wepons that don't count as magical weapons, Blood thirsters with Obsidian Armor (you can't destroy/Nullify them). Vampire ghouls with Ghoul kin and and summon ghouls, when every turney are is built up around the unit and support ablilities something is wrong. The banner of reform that lets a unit of tomb guard reform for free. Mixed with the Urgent incantations you can charge 20" with a infantry unit. Chaos Sorcerer Lords. They fight too good to be casters, there is no point in taking any other lord choice.
Back to top Go down
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

PostSubject: Re: All those naughty goodies...   All those naughty goodies... EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 2:51 pm

dragons, dragons and more dragons
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: All those naughty goodies...   All those naughty goodies... EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 3:28 pm

FrostWolf wrote:
dragons, dragons and more dragons
..well OK, but more in lines of Magic Items (ex Ring of Hotek) and/or combos

A tactica versus Dragons would be for another topic my friend..
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

PostSubject: Re: All those naughty goodies...   All those naughty goodies... EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 3:49 pm

mounts dont count? ok sorry,

the insta kill weapons(lose all wounds remaining if hurt by this weapon), the one vamp blade(each wound caused heals either the vamp or its unit), the one rune that doubles the dwarfs straength when it fights t5 or higher units. killing blow bows or other rnaged weapons

while none of these are truely broken in my thoguths, they are my least favroite iteams to fight in the game
Back to top Go down
Jeff P
Neophyte
Jeff P

PostSubject: Re: All those naughty goodies...   All those naughty goodies... EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 9:23 pm

One Ive seen cropping up more is Chaos Warriors with deamon of tzeench with tendrils of tzeench OR a L4 with homoculous/power familiar/book of secrets. then add a l2 of nurgle/tzeench or vanilla with spell familiar and infernal puppet. It has the ability to auto destroy units and nearly immune to miscasts, while shutting down enemy magic phase for fear of miscast.

VC dreadlance with red fury and infinite hatred. yuk.

DE dragon rider or any general with pendant of kaleath and armor of darkness. 1+ save with reverse ward. or if you want to change up, the pendant with the armor of eternal servitude just in case you fail your revers ward, you regenerate.
Back to top Go down
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: All those naughty goodies...   All those naughty goodies... EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 4:54 am

Even though I seldem leave home without one, I agree with Jeff about the Dark Elf lord with a 3+ armor, reverse ward and regenerate being criminal. It is bad when the dragon is the weak point of the unit.

Teclis having no armor/ward save of any kind. You get close to him and he is dead.

Any of the several items/named character abilities that allow you to kiling blow large targets.

Any of the several items that break other characters magic items. It doesn't seem right to me that a 25 point mace can break a 100 point lance.

After saying all that, I think GW is trying to balance things as well as they can and still increase sales. The Dark Elf codex is probably the most broken of the new books, but it still has a sense of balance to it. Thier most powerful items are defensive where Dark Elves have traditionally been an offensive army.
Back to top Go down
Jeff P
Neophyte
Jeff P

PostSubject: Re: All those naughty goodies...   All those naughty goodies... EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 9:29 pm

Need a few more items that negate ward saves and have flaming attacks. not overboard, but just enough to keep all the new toys honest.
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: All those naughty goodies...   All those naughty goodies... EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 9:00 am

ok. Magic Items are magic items. There is a lot of stuff that everyone has to deal with...some are better than others. Mostly they match the fluff of the armies. Some stuff is a pain in the ass...others, not.

All in all...I like everything. It's all a chance to experience parts of the game. I am not a competitive player, and I would rather lose 100% of the time and enjoy every game then win game that was boring/a pain in my ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.aowcinci.com
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant
Evil Bob

PostSubject: Re: All those naughty goodies...   All those naughty goodies... EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 11:55 am

Jeff P wrote:
VC dreadlance with red fury and infinite hatred. yuk.
If someone is stacking infinite hatred after they are auto hitting and possibly getting more attacks then they need to be laughed at for being able to re-roll autohits.

But the first two part of the combo is mean, good thing it is 110 points. A heavy draw on other resources.

Anyhoo their is the question is it worth risking the army's General on that tactic. Once the general is dead the game is pretty much over with the fair but harsh undead general rules.

Last edited by Angry Bob on Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant
Evil Bob

PostSubject: Re: All those naughty goodies...   All those naughty goodies... EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 12:07 pm

Crobar wrote:
Any of the several items that break other characters magic items. It doesn't seem right to me that a 25 point mace can break a 100 point lance.
Second that.

Anything that changes the content of another's army list outside normal killing combat needs careful thought by the game designers.

Not thrilled with any of that stuff. Can sort of stomach the high elf spell unmaking spell that requires a twelve plus to cast.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All those naughty goodies...   All those naughty goodies... Empty

Back to top Go down

All those naughty goodies...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Warhammer Fantasy :: Fantasy General Discussion-
Jump to: