CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Space Hulk - First Impressions

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
CaelynTek
Initiate
Initiate
CaelynTek

hulk - Space Hulk - First Impressions Empty
PostSubject: Space Hulk - First Impressions   hulk - Space Hulk - First Impressions EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 8:27 pm

Ok so my Space Hulk arrived tonight.

DANG the box was heavy! I mean I got two of them, so they shipped in a bigger box, but even one of the Space Hulk boxes is heavy as a room full of terminators.

They have everything packed in there nice and tight. Of course the first thing I did was go for the miniatures. We could all tell from the preview photos from GW that they were made of a different kind of plastic than usual. Well the plastic doesn't just look different. It's also softer than the usual plastic.

The first mini I decided to cut out of the sprue was the lightning claws.

And those rat bastards attached ONE claw of the lightning claws of the left hand to a sprue. It was nearly impossible to remove the claw from the sprue without distorting the plastic, even when your careful, if your not careful you'll break the claw off. Then as I looked around the sprue, I saw that they did that a lot, attaching the mini to the sprue using the weakest parts of the mini.

The front and back of the lightning claw mini fit very tightly to each other, I tried to test fit the parts and I had to stop before fully seating the part or I wouldn't have been able to get it out again to apply glue. So I did, added some glue and put it back together, only to realize after it was too late that the parts don't quite fit all the way together. The post is longer than the hole, so my chestplate is standing out of the body just a bit.

The details on the mini are outstanding, but so far, not too impressed with the fit, or the amount of mold lines... there are mold lines on nearly every surface.

It's nothing I or any good modeler can't deal with, but still... for 100 bucks....

Anyway, so yeah, I'm hoping to have at least one of the Space Hulk minis painted for the Sept. 5 party at UU&A

Once I dig more into the box I'll post more updates.

Anybody wanna come by this week to play a game?
Back to top Go down
http://miniblog.caelyntek.com
CaelynTek
Initiate
Initiate
CaelynTek

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk - First Impressions   hulk - Space Hulk - First Impressions EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 8:58 pm

I just got done popping all the rooms halls and counters out of the puzzle.

1.) Man these rooms are sweet.
2.) They are about twice as thick as the original Space Hulk map pieces.
3.) The counters are made of the same thickness material as the map pieces.
4.) There are a gozillion hall pieces, most of them short, but there are also several long hall pieces.
5.) No real big rooms, all but one is 3X3, with one room that is 4X3. I will miss the larger rooms of the first edition sets. (Unless I make some new ones using my scans of those sets)
6. The doors are much more hefty than they were in the original too. These doors are actually big enough to believe a terminator could fit through them.

The rule book is thin, 23 pages. Thinner even than the mission book.

More soon with pictures.
Back to top Go down
CaelynTek
Initiate
Initiate
CaelynTek

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk - First Impressions   hulk - Space Hulk - First Impressions EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 8:05 pm

There is no end to the Terminators.... NO END!

I keep assembling them, but then I look up, and there's still more to assemble!

And I'm still just on the first box.

OK, so with the terminator sprue, all the parts are numbered so you know which arm goes with which terminator. For example, anything marked 4 goes with terminator 4. Aside from the one where the heavy flamer arm is on one sprue and the heavy flamer termie is on the other, it was simple as pie to find the right parts.

Again I find issue though with how they attach the parts to sprues, whether it's having the connection on a weak narrow part, or having a HUGE bock of plastic connecting it, so big that clippers can't get it all at once.... grrr.

Seriously though, I have 1 more Terminator from the first box to assemble, then I'm gonna hit them all with primer. I HATE that red/orange plastic.

Then it's on to the Genestealers. And here's the thing that's gonna suck.

The genestealer parts aren't numbered. And they aren't always in any specific grouping either. Meaning the arms for one may not be next to the body for it.

I won't get done assembling the genetealers tonight, so wherever I go tomorrow to do the rules review games, I will have to assemble the rest on the fly.
Back to top Go down
CaelynTek
Initiate
Initiate
CaelynTek

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk - First Impressions   hulk - Space Hulk - First Impressions EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 10:24 pm

Here are some photos.... the full set of photos can be found at the following link:

http://warhammer40k.caelyntek.com/spacehulk/index.htm

hulk - Space Hulk - First Impressions August09%20048_jpg

hulk - Space Hulk - First Impressions August09%20050_jpg

hulk - Space Hulk - First Impressions August09%20055_jpg

hulk - Space Hulk - First Impressions August09%20061_jpg

hulk - Space Hulk - First Impressions August09%20066_jpg

This one is show the scale is the same on the space hulk terminators, I read on a forum somewhere that someone was worried they wouldn't be the same.
hulk - Space Hulk - First Impressions August09%20069_jpg

hulk - Space Hulk - First Impressions August09%20077_jpg
Back to top Go down
CaelynTek
Initiate
Initiate
CaelynTek

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk - First Impressions   hulk - Space Hulk - First Impressions EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 11:54 pm

Genestealer claws are razor sharp......

No seriously, after about 60 minutes of assembling Genestealers and removing flash my fingers are bloody.

Trying to hold the mini steady enough to trim flash from the piece often results in punctures by the claws of the Genestealer.
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk - First Impressions   hulk - Space Hulk - First Impressions EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 6:04 am

I am enjoying this play by play seriously! Is it me or do the Space Hulk Termies seem ever so slighlty bulkier than a normal Terminator maybe 5% larger... Dunno just first glance maybe. I like that though, gives good Character!!!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/makarithraka
CaelynTek
Initiate
Initiate
CaelynTek

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk - First Impressions   hulk - Space Hulk - First Impressions EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 8:04 am

makari wrote:
I am enjoying this play by play seriously! Is it me or do the Space Hulk Termies seem ever so slighlty bulkier than a normal Terminator maybe 5% larger... Dunno just first glance maybe. I like that though, gives good Character!!!

It seems that the SH terminator armor is the same size as others, it's just that they have TONS more ropes, chains, ribbons, medals and other raised details, so they look bigger.

Or perhaps they are bigger, but not by much.
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk - First Impressions   hulk - Space Hulk - First Impressions EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 8:53 am

I think the different poses throws you off Sean. All the pointing, aiming and "come get some" wingspans chunk them out..
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk - First Impressions   hulk - Space Hulk - First Impressions Empty

Back to top Go down

Space Hulk - First Impressions
Page 1 of 1