CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Space Hulk, Saturday Sept. 26th, Sci Fi City.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
CaelynTek
Initiate
Initiate
CaelynTek

space - Space Hulk, Saturday Sept. 26th, Sci Fi City. Empty
PostSubject: Space Hulk, Saturday Sept. 26th, Sci Fi City.   space - Space Hulk, Saturday Sept. 26th, Sci Fi City. EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 1:17 pm

Assuming there will be room (I have no idea what's going on at Sci Fi City tomorrow) I would like to play some Space Hulk at Sci Fi City tomorrow afternoon.

I have enough stuff to have two games going at once, so I can host up to 4 players (including me),

I can help teach the game to anyone who wants to play and will have two rule books and two mission books people can use for reference.

Time: I plan on being there by Noon (12:00 PM) but I may show up earlier than that.

Where: Unless I'm told there isn't room, it will be at Sci Fi City.

When: 12:00 Noon until whenever.

What you need to bring? Nothing, but if you want to bring some terminators and genestealers, especially painted ones, that would be awesome.

Alternate plan: I will most likely be painting if no one shows up to play.
Back to top Go down
http://miniblog.caelyntek.com
CaelynTek
Initiate
Initiate
CaelynTek

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk, Saturday Sept. 26th, Sci Fi City.   space - Space Hulk, Saturday Sept. 26th, Sci Fi City. EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 12:55 am

Well, for the second time, no one showed up to a Space Hulk demo.

I'm starting to lose confidence.

Of course I had no idea that today was a game card orgy day and that most non card game gamers would be avoiding the stores like the plague.

There one kid that seemed interested in the Space Hulk game, he asked me a bunch a questions about it... then came the question.

Him: " that sounds really cool...... but what do the cards look like?"....

Me: "There aren't any, this isn't a card game"

Him: "Oh...".... and he walks away.

Bear in mind that I had a full space hulk map set up, with doors and mini's and everything, ready to play...and had explained the entire general premise of the game to him before he asked that question.....

One more nail in the coffin of my disdain for card games and those that play them.

So can anyone tell me what day/night would be the best, and what location would be the best to get people to actually PLAY Space Hulk? Or did everyone just buy it for the miniatures and nothing more?
Back to top Go down
Qoltar
Initiate
Initiate
Qoltar

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk, Saturday Sept. 26th, Sci Fi City.   space - Space Hulk, Saturday Sept. 26th, Sci Fi City. EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 2:45 am

Some days iot might work great there at Northgate.

I think the timing sucked today.
We had the convergence of a rainy day and the fact that card kid bunch had apparently been banned from the mall food court within the past week. They were roaming and loooking for empty tables to play their game on.

Space Hulk will work out ...eventually.

- Ed C.
Back to top Go down
CaelynTek
Initiate
Initiate
CaelynTek

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk, Saturday Sept. 26th, Sci Fi City.   space - Space Hulk, Saturday Sept. 26th, Sci Fi City. EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 8:33 am

Qoltar wrote:
Some days iot might work great there at Northgate.

I think the timing sucked today.
We had the convergence of a rainy day and the fact that card kid bunch had apparently been banned from the mall food court within the past week. They were roaming and loooking for empty tables to play their game on.

Space Hulk will work out ...eventually.

- Ed C.

Well then there was Yotta Quest. I went there after dropping you off yesterday to pick up some Vallejo Game Color paints. When I got there the entire store was swamped with game card players. Every seat, every table, front room and back room. Apparently yesterday was some pre-release party nation wide or something?

I asked the guy at the counter when he thought might be a good day to run Space Hulk demo's at his store he said "just bring it on board game night". I said it's not really a board game, and that it's a table top game like Warhammer 40K and would be best marketed and played with 40K types....
Then another store employee behind the counter said.... "sure it's a board game, it's not cards and it's not collectible so by definition it's a board game."

I was speechless at that point and just walked away.

Another nail in the coffin of my disdain for card games.
Back to top Go down
The Madman
Sergeant
Sergeant
The Madman

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk, Saturday Sept. 26th, Sci Fi City.   space - Space Hulk, Saturday Sept. 26th, Sci Fi City. EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 1:06 pm

without gettign too far into a counter 'rant'
I think it's you who are messing up

I actually suggested to you when the game came out... to offer it up on boardgame nights

You need to realize, the YQ staff was not trying to belittle the game(or you)
but rather speaking some 'hard truth' to you
Space Hulk is indeed a Board game, a WH40K board game... but a board game none the less

You are going to be hurting your case by trying to limit the potential of SH as a 40K only game

USE it/ALLOW it to be a 'Gateway to the table top game...

40k player have several things in common:
1 Disposable income
2 Disposable time
3 Unlimiting responsibilities
4 creative like skills that benifit from the above

The 'average' games player can be turned off by table top games just as you were to cards
unless you offer them something that will help them negate the negatives they see in the 4 situations above

Space Hulk
is not Overly costly or require multiple purchases
is not time consuming(or in need of a 4x6 game table)
does not require me to second chair my friends, family, job or school to play it
DOESN'T REQUIRE me to paint the Pieces to play and have 'fun', I could open the box and play the game

Think outside the box

Even though I do not play 40K(anymore)
I would not have come to love and enjoy table top minis games, I would not have many of the fun people in my life if or have enjoyed so many other games if not for my experiences with my first 40k experinence: SPACE HULK
Back to top Go down
http://www.cincyrec.org
Mike Leon
Forum Moderator
Mike Leon

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk, Saturday Sept. 26th, Sci Fi City.   space - Space Hulk, Saturday Sept. 26th, Sci Fi City. EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 1:16 pm

You really should go on board game night.

Most of the interest in Space Hulk is from old 40k players with a nostalgia rush and they already bought the game and know how to play so they aren't looking for demos.

And it IS a board game.
Back to top Go down
http://whowritesthisstuff.net/
CaelynTek
Initiate
Initiate
CaelynTek

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk, Saturday Sept. 26th, Sci Fi City.   space - Space Hulk, Saturday Sept. 26th, Sci Fi City. EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 10:45 am

Yes I'm sure your right Madman. I can't help it... I have a long standing deep set hatred for card games. It's hard for me to suppress it.

That combined with the two times now that I have tried to host a game and no one shows up... just kinda irritating.

Perhaps I will try board game night then, but I don't know if I can this week, going out of town at the end the week and things are crazy till then. We'll see.

Oh and one thing you were wrong about... Space Hulk requires a big table for many of the missions. Yes you can do custom hulks and missions tailored to fit the table you have, but to do most of the missions in the mission book, you need a large table like you do in 40K.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Space Hulk, Saturday Sept. 26th, Sci Fi City.   space - Space Hulk, Saturday Sept. 26th, Sci Fi City. Empty

Back to top Go down

Space Hulk, Saturday Sept. 26th, Sci Fi City.
Page 1 of 1