CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile

Go down 
+5
Marc
Warmonger
Matt
Makari
Affliction
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Affliction
Forum Moderator
Affliction

Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile Empty
PostSubject: Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile   Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile EmptyTue May 04, 2010 11:43 pm

Here is a link to a article posted on the Blood Kittens site. I have been saying this exact thing for the last year or so. I am in complete agreement with the article as I won't play anything above 2000 points and for the most part really dislike going even that high.

Just curious what you guys think. I know there are people that love the bigger games, but take it from a stand point of a balanced game. Not a cool I can get more OP units in my list now.

Also I am willing to bet 3/4 of our playing group hasn't even played a 1500 point game. So I am not really sure how much a response I am going to get. If you haven't played a 1500 point game try it sometime you may be surprised.

In Defense of 1500: What does GW want?

Edit: Found Part 2 of sorts...

In Defense of 1500: You can eat the cake and have it too

Excerpt from the second article I liked.

Quote :
1500 lists allow you to make complex choices and puts more focus on interplay among units. You have to think, how does one unit support another and what does each provide that the other doesn’t.
Back to top Go down
http://theblackparade2010.blogspot.com/
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile   Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile EmptyWed May 05, 2010 6:55 am

I prefer the 1850 lists... You can almost take an entire space Marine company... But having said that I can enjoy the occasional Apoc or 2500 point game too just not as often but I do beleive it comes at a price for most players because they are just throwing their biggest baddest units out there and hoping something works, but to some as I think I enjjoy the challenge of taking command of such a large force and my list doesn't deviate much from my 1850 list theme...

1000 is just too small for me but not bad for learning or just trying to get more games in quickly. I don't see anything wrong with 1500 but it has been a long time since that was the standard (in the US that is - Matt) and it now feels out of place as sorts...

GW is obviously looking to sale more models and increases the size of a standard game but eh lets rock.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/makarithraka
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile   Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile EmptyWed May 05, 2010 1:30 pm

I think 1500-1850 is a nice balance. You get to have unit interplay (rather you need it.)

The 40,000 rule set lacks character in my opinion. Something that becomes painfully obvious in lower point games (1000 and below.)

I read these articles a while ago, good reads for anyone interested in GW tournament play.

I think this is a key quote

Quote :
GW thinks that “A limit of 1,500 or 2,000 per side produces a well-balanced game”

That's the creators of the game saying that. Go higher or lower if you wish, but understand that things become unbalanced.

We have a ton of tournament players on this site. I would love to hear what you guys have to say on the matter.
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com
Warmonger
Initiate
Initiate
Warmonger

PostSubject: Re: Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile   Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile EmptyWed May 05, 2010 3:29 pm

I've played a whole range of point values from 500 pts to 2500 pts and the thing I have found IMO at least is that all armies do not scale up or down in pts levels evenly. Some work better at lower levels while others work better at 2000+ level. Of course I think we all know that not all codex's are created equal and so can become really out of balance especially when scaling up in points. I have found 1850 to be my favorite point level currently, 1750 just seemed a little off and 1500 to restrictive. Anything more seems to be to time consuming in a regulated tournament arena.

I do play other point levels, 2000 pts at coopercon but it is a very relaxed atmosphere and 2500 pts for Ard' boyz (we all need to go crazy with our armies once in a while) especially since I don't play Apocalypse, and I played in Sean's 1000 point mini tournaments and 500 point combat patrol tourney on occassion. But I really prefer 1850 pts. On a side note: while I have nothing against Forgeworld models and rule sets ect. lets leave them to apocalypse. They can really throw balance out the window (what little balance there is) and just don't scale well with the codex's. IMO.
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile   Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile EmptyThu May 06, 2010 7:14 am

..ditto

1500-1850pts is a solid range..

I ran 1500 editions ago (..even less) but these past few years its back and forth with 1750 & 1850

At the 2000pts mark you would start seeing some silly sh1t imo.

5th edition @1500 would be most welcomed. Not many "crutches" rolling on table. The player would have to really play (*gasp*) as list writes is more vital. I remember the pullback from 1850 to 1750 a few years ago and players were struggling. Now pull 350pts of what you play today? Intense.. armour would still rule the field, but the style of redundancy or sacrificial play would change as the units become more "precious"
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/

PostSubject: Re: Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile   Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile EmptyThu May 06, 2010 10:14 am

Marc wrote:
..ditto

1500-1850pts is a solid range..

I ran 1500 editions ago (..even less) but these past few years its back and forth with 1750 & 1850

At the 2000pts mark you would start seeing some silly sh1t imo.

5th edition @1500 would be most welcomed. Not many "crutches" rolling on table. The player would have to really play (*gasp*) as list writes is more vital. I remember the pullback from 1850 to 1750 a few years ago and players were struggling. Now pull 350pts of what you play today? Intense.. armour would still rule the field, but the style of redundancy or sacrificial play would change as the units become more "precious"

I agree. I like smaller rather then larger. It forces choice into list constructions and you better be able to think your way around. However, with the number of objective type missions you have to find ways to preserve your troop choices. If you only take 2 troops ... you may find it difficult to pull wins on objectives.

Sounds like I need to organize a 1500 Tourney for later on this year.
Back to top Go down
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile   Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile EmptyThu May 06, 2010 12:19 pm

I don't think I would even go any higher then 1850. I can actually say i have a really competative army. Why mess it up??? If anything...play around with the 1850 list. All the blog sights I have been reading through including info for tournies is basically between this range.
Back to top Go down
Affliction
Forum Moderator
Affliction

PostSubject: Re: Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile   Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile EmptyThu May 06, 2010 1:14 pm

I would be game for a 1500pt Tournament.
Back to top Go down
http://theblackparade2010.blogspot.com/
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile   Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile EmptyThu May 06, 2010 2:51 pm

Chad (Black Parade) wrote:
I would be game for a 1500pt Tournament.

I'd be down too.....it be easy for me....
Back to top Go down
methoderik
Neophyte
methoderik

PostSubject: Re: Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile   Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile EmptyMon May 10, 2010 9:43 am

I agree with what most others have said. Seemed like 1,500 played well in 4th, and still does good in 5th.
I like 1,850 for tourney play in 5th.
Back to top Go down
krak_kirby
Neophyte
krak_kirby

PostSubject: Re: Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile   Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile EmptySat May 15, 2010 11:23 pm

As long as the games are timed to match the point level I'll play any points up to 2500. I prefer a four round tournament if there are more than 16 players, but at four rounds it's tough to go higher than 1500 points.

I also enjoy team events. There are enough players in the community to do this a little more often. Maybe I'll set up one in Dayton this summer...
Back to top Go down
NewportGames
Neophyte
NewportGames

PostSubject: Re: Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile   Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile EmptySun May 23, 2010 6:45 pm

My complaint with large point armies is this: you end up with armies lined up from corner to corner march across the board and it becomes a slug-fest and no maneuver.

Where is the fun in that? It does not take much of a brain to line them up and cross the board.

Smaller point battles force you to think so you do not waist resources and preserve your force for the climatic battle. Hopefully you can force your opponent through maneuver out of his entrenchments into a battle of your choosing. That is where the fun is and you can only do this on smaller point battles. Otherwise, line them up and go for a slug-fest and blast away at each other and wear out your dice throwing arm.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nky-photos.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile   Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile Empty

Back to top Go down

Something I Have Been Saying for Awhile
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Warhammer 40k :: 40k General Discussion-
Jump to: