CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Khador - Starkkov List 35 pts

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Carl_Dillon
Forum Moderator
Carl_Dillon

Khador - Starkkov List 35 pts Empty
PostSubject: Khador - Starkkov List 35 pts   Khador - Starkkov List 35 pts EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 5:14 pm

This is a tier 4 themed list for Kommander Starkkov

Kommander Starkkov

WARJACKS
Destroyer x1
Juggernaut x1
UNITS
Assault Kommandos - Leader and 5 grunts 2 squads
Assault Kommando Flame throwers x3
Kayazy Assassins - Leader and 5 grunts x1
Kayazy Assassin Underboss x1
Widowmakers - Leader and 3 grunts x1
SOLOS
War Dog x1
Widowmaker Marksmen x1

So, the assault commandos gain advance deployment and will be able to have two trenches that I can put on the board. I was able to get a widowmaker marksman for free since i have four core units. And with the two jacks i am able to start the game with my friendly models / units affected by my upkeep spells. I also dont have to pay for upkeep on them during my first turn.

My upkeep spells will give every unit stealth and overwatch. The jacks will also have another spell on them listed below.
So after upkeep on my second turn i will have both Kommando units will spend the game with stealth and the equivalent of overwatch cast on them while hidden in the trenchs. jumping out when they are ready. Starkov also gives them pathfinder, making it easier to advance.
The jacks will spend the game with +2 speed (making it a 6 and faster than almost all other jacks out there, MAT and DEF and cant be knocked down.
The assassins plug holes in the lines while the widdowmakers benefit from the marksmens abilities. Specifically swift hunter which gives them the ability to shoot you and if you die the model can advance 2"
The assassins plug holes in the lines and take out light troops and targets of opportunity.
If anyone gets within my control zone I pop my feat and all friendly models that can charge gain pathfinder and +4 to their movement. and my jacks can charge and slam power attacks without spending any focus.
Back to top Go down
Carl_Dillon
Forum Moderator
Carl_Dillon

PostSubject: Re: Khador - Starkkov List 35 pts   Khador - Starkkov List 35 pts EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 5:50 pm

LOL I was doing a bit of math and had to share this.

A warjack using my spells will have the following for movement
4" base move
2" bonus from the spell
3" on a charge

and a potential 4" on top of that if i use my feat. So potentially my jacks can charge 13" with pathfinder and a a series of other boosts....

Cant wait to play
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Khador - Starkkov List 35 pts   Khador - Starkkov List 35 pts EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 7:50 pm

I dig Strakhov.

I see a lot of new players, and new strakhov players do this though. Assault Kommandos, even with him... are simply not worth it in my opinion. Other units still perform a lot better than these guys (kayazy which you already have, IFP or full winterguard.)

Also, he LOVES reach warjacks. They take maximum advantage of his feat. So in my opinion, beast 09 or a spriggan is a must for this fella (i prefer the beast.) Nothing like throwing a "superiority-ized" jack with reach on feat turn at the enemy Smile Just let them take free strikes and go right for the throat (aka the caster.)

He loves missiles though, so manhunters and other solos that can really benefit from his feat are fun with him. Then big mobs of core units. When i play him though i always run the Beast 09 and keep superiority on him and drop stealth on something for a turn or two. Then drop feat for a big hit.

His feat plus Kayazy is also awesome.
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com
Carl_Dillon
Forum Moderator
Carl_Dillon

PostSubject: Re: Khador - Starkkov List 35 pts   Khador - Starkkov List 35 pts EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 11:24 am

- 6 pts Kommander Strakhov
11 pts Beast-09
7 pts Marauder
1 pt War dog

5 pts Kayazy Assassins (Leader and 5 Grunts)
2 pts Kayazy Assassin Underboss
4 pts Widowmakers (Leader and 3 Grunts)
4 pts Winter Guard Infantry (Leader and 6 Grunts)
2 pts Winter Guard Infantry Officer & Standard
2 pts Winter Guard Infantry Rocketeers x2
3 pts Winter Guard Mortar Crew (Leader and Grunt)

How about this then. It of course isn’t a tier list but has some decent units. I worry that I don’t have enough core units there though.
I could also take out the Marauder and Mortar crew and put in a Spriggan Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Khador - Starkkov List 35 pts   Khador - Starkkov List 35 pts EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 1:25 pm

The marauder could get dropped to max out the winterguard and throw in kovnic joe (a must with winterguard.)

Looks alright though.
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com
zombie-a-go-go
Neophyte
zombie-a-go-go

PostSubject: Re: Khador - Starkkov List 35 pts   Khador - Starkkov List 35 pts EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 9:48 am

Carl_Dillon wrote:
- 6 pts Kommander Strakhov
11 pts Beast-09
7 pts Marauder
1 pt War dog

5 pts Kayazy Assassins (Leader and 5 Grunts)
2 pts Kayazy Assassin Underboss
4 pts Widowmakers (Leader and 3 Grunts)
4 pts Winter Guard Infantry (Leader and 6 Grunts)
2 pts Winter Guard Infantry Officer & Standard
2 pts Winter Guard Infantry Rocketeers x2
3 pts Winter Guard Mortar Crew (Leader and Grunt)

How about this then. It of course isn’t a tier list but has some decent units. I worry that I don’t have enough core units there though.
I could also take out the Marauder and Mortar crew and put in a Spriggan Twisted Evil

First off - Tier lists are nice and fluffy, but very few of them are going to be competitive at a medium-high level of play. If you're cool with that, I think that's great - but you should be aware of it.

Okay, now, on to Strakhov.

The Winterguard are wasted here. Strakhov wants to ram hard-hitting melee down your throat as fast as possible. He will almost always first-strike, so taking units that want to hang back and shoot are totally wasted with him. I love-love-love WG Infantry, and they're a mainstay in almost all of my lists, but Strakhov just can't use them well.

The Mortar Crew is cool to leverage Sentry, although I personally think they're an overall bad choice (you get one real decent turn of shooting with them before everyone's engaged, and for 3 points, a single 4" POW16 AOE is not cost-effective IMO). However, a lot of other people swear by them, so I'm definitely in the minority here. Smile

The Kayazy are awesome, though you want to max them out. Although with Stealth and DEF16 in melee they're world-beaters once they hit the front-lines, they'll usually be the target of all of your opponent's AOE attacks, and ARM11 means they drop like flies to them. Max the unit to ensure that enough get there intact to do their job.

Now, for your additional infantry choices, here are a few I'd recommend -

Iron Fang Pikemen are a solid staple in any Khador force that likes melee. Strakhov can give them Stealth with his Occultation spell, and under his Feat they have a threat range of 15" (!). With Combined Melee Attack and POW13s they're going to be able to reap through infantry or put a serious hurting on a single hard target.

Great Bears - even better. They hit harder (OMG 4d6 on the charge, MAT8, 2 attacks each, Tough, reach... I could go on and on). However, they're pricey dollar-wise. Toss Occultation on them, though, and your opponent will have no idea what to do if they don't have sprays.

Demo Corps - if you own them, Strakhov has everything that supports them, but I wouldn't be able to justify spending the money on a full unit of them unless you know exactly what you want, and what you want are Demo Corps. Strakhov makes them amazing... but every other caster, not so much.

If you want crazy-insane threat ranges, there's always Cavalry (Uhlans, Fenris, Drakhun, Markov). Going to run you an arm and a leg, but ... 17" threat ranges. Yummy. Expensive dollar-wise, too, but the thought of a unit of Uhlans under Occultation makes me laugh.

Summation, infantry-wise - take Kayazy (stealth) and another infantry melee unit (that can be granted stealth via Occultation).

Now, I know I said Strakhov only wants melee, but the Widowmakers are the exception here, as they can pick off single-wound models from far away to open up charge lanes for your melee. So definitely keep the Widowmakers.

For jacks, Beast-09 and the Spriggan are really the only choices here. Beast because he can go Murderous and gain an additional die (not a boost, an additional, so you can roll 4d6 to hit those pesky high-def casters like Caine) on the attack roll - and of course, he has Thresher; Spriggan because Bulldoze parts enemy models like the Red Sea as he charges, inexorably, into the enemy caster's teeth. Spriggan is also harder to kill (ARM21) and has ranged options. Beast hits harder and is more FOC-efficient due to Heavy Boiler. Its a toss-up. Taking the pair of them together, though, is going to run you a whomping 21 points.

Strakhov only wants one jack. He doesn't have the FOC to run two. You'll be using Strakhov himself to trigger Overrun for your jack when you go on the assassination run.

Solos:

The War Dog - yes. Don't leave home without him.

Strakhov also likes Manhunters for the same reason he likes the Kayazy - natural Stealth, fast, hits like a truck.

Don't discount the value of merc utility solos. Gorman diWulfe can lay down smoke clouds to block LOS to Strakhov (and Black Oil, not cleanliness, is next to Godliness); Orin Midwinter can throw up a 12" null magic zone where your opponent can't cast spells, Eiryss is, well, Eiryss. Smile

Also, a note on the Overrun assassination with Beast-09:

Beast-09 has Superiority upkept from the previous round. Strakhov gives him 2 FOC. (3 remaining on Strakhov).

Strakhov pops Feat, casts Overrun, charges something and kills it (boost to hit, because if you don't hit and kill, you just lost the game). Beast advances 6".

Beast charges for free under Strakhov's Feat, a 15" threat range (Base 4" + 2" (superiority) +3" (charge) +4" (feat bonus) +2" (reach)).

So you're delivering a P+S19 charge attack at MAT9 from 21" away. If it doesn't kill the caster, hit them again. And again. That's what the additional FOC is for, because everyone gets a bad roll every once in a while.

Also, as Matt said, Assault Kommandos suck. not only with Strakhov. They just suck. Smile Forwarned is forearmed!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Khador - Starkkov List 35 pts   Khador - Starkkov List 35 pts Empty

Back to top Go down

Khador - Starkkov List 35 pts
Page 1 of 1