CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Gamer Rant (from a girls perspective)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Affliction
Forum Moderator
Affliction

A Gamer Rant (from a girls perspective) Empty
PostSubject: A Gamer Rant (from a girls perspective)   A Gamer Rant (from a girls perspective) EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 1:36 am

The Girl wrote:
My army may be the sparkliest thing to hit a gaming table, but I am not a unicorn. I’m not a gamer girl. I’m just a gamer. Just like you.

I’ve participated in a number of discussions about women who play Warhammer. There are usually mentions of how rare we are. Assumptions are made about what armies we play and why. Stories about being ostracized are told by women, as well as rants by men about why women don’t belong in the hobby. The feeling I get is that women are not seen as equals by some of our counterparts for reasons ranging from simple uncomfort to full blown misogyny.

Stop. Seriously… just stop. Sexism has no place in gaming. Nor does this ridiculous habit of placing women on a pedestal because you’re not used to seeing us around. We are not special. We are just gamers.

Women show up at the same tables men do, for the same reasons men do: to play. Women spend time customizing our minis for the same reasons. We agonize over our army lists before tournaments just like men do. Women talk smack, we balk at rules lawyers, and we get just as angry when an opponent cheats. We get mad when we lose, and elated when we win. Just like men.

I know that this isn’t an issue for everyone. There are some men out there that get it – and I, for one, appreciate it. I’ve yet to feel excluded by the group I play with because of my gender – just my newb status, which will change as I play more.

The only thing that separates one player from another is their skill at the hobby, and their level of sportsmanship. So, for the women out there that have an interest: build your army and play. Have fun. Don’t let the nay-sayers get in your way.

This is a little rant I found over at BOLS. I think she makes some valid points in the post.

Girls think very differently than guys do, and in doing so brings a certain dynamic to the game that us guys may not expect or see on a normal basis. That may win them some games and that may lose them some, but in the end its a different outlook on the game and the hobby as a whole.

Also having more girls/women around balances out the "creep" factor of the gaming crowd, but I will let TML do more editorials on that part of it if he chooses.
Back to top Go down
http://theblackparade2010.blogspot.com/
LOXMYTHIC
Neophyte
LOXMYTHIC

PostSubject: Re: A Gamer Rant (from a girls perspective)   A Gamer Rant (from a girls perspective) EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 2:30 pm

I really had no idea sexism was even an issue in this hobby.
Back to top Go down
HAND OF DUME
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: A Gamer Rant (from a girls perspective)   A Gamer Rant (from a girls perspective) EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 8:54 pm

I haven't seen this as an issue due to the fact that they (female players) are totally scarce in most areas.

I'm all for females playing. Although I'd have to say that the only female that I've played personally is my wife and she wasn't that into it and her interest didn't last long.

For those that went to Adepticon... remember Mel from Tennessee (she was the chick wearing the fantastic Sister's of Battle outfit), I understand she is a very competative and competent player. I'm pretty sure Warmonger played her at Adepticon '09 and Wayno's played her also.

IMO, we need more female players, but I just don't think that there is much of an interest from them with the exception of a choice few.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Gamer Rant (from a girls perspective)   A Gamer Rant (from a girls perspective) EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 6:20 am

Follow this post through.... to Favorite Opponent.

https://cincycag.forumotion.com/the-open-house-f8/gen-con-trip-2009-i-need-a-vacation-from-my-vacation-t3229.htm

The thing is there were like 50 guys that kept coming over to "check out" her army. I mean. That is the creepy stuff. She was treated like a celebrity for showing up w/ an army. Sexist..maybe borderline but treated "different" most definitely by the players at large.

In confrontation tournament circle we had probably 4 local female players between Cincy and Dayton. So at any one event it wasn't unusual. They approach table top games differently and in a good way. They are excellent tacticians.
Back to top Go down
Warmonger
Initiate
Initiate
Warmonger

PostSubject: Re: A Gamer Rant (from a girls perspective)   A Gamer Rant (from a girls perspective) EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 8:34 am

Dume wrote:

Quote :
remember Mel from Tennessee (she was the chick wearing the fantastic Sister's of Battle outfit), I understand she is a very competative and competent player. I'm pretty sure Warmonger played her at Adepticon '09

I did in fact play against her at Adepticon 09 and she was very competent, competitive and knowledgeable not only on the rules but on the fluffy stuff too. It was a very enjoyable game. Smile The hobby could use more like her!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Gamer Rant (from a girls perspective)   A Gamer Rant (from a girls perspective) Empty

Back to top Go down

A Gamer Rant (from a girls perspective)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: General :: The open house-
Jump to: