CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Warmachine / Hordes (WM -H) Builder Challenge

Go down 
+2
CJ
Carl_Dillon
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Carl_Dillon
Forum Moderator
Carl_Dillon

Warmachine / Hordes (WM -H) Builder Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Warmachine / Hordes (WM -H) Builder Challenge   Warmachine / Hordes (WM -H) Builder Challenge EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 5:09 pm

I was on Table Top Gaming News and saw this challenge and thought it would be a great idea for our community. Their challenge is specifically for Hordes to learn the new rules and build an army. But with many of us here just diving in I thought it more appropriate to expand the challenge to both Warmachine and Hordes. Heres the original post where I got the idea from.

These are the guidelines and structure for the challenge.

The goal is that we all comfortably get to build some toy soldiers, paint them, learn the rules of this new game, and share the process with the community. This Battle Challenge will feature Warmachine and Hordes Mk II by Privateer Press

How do I get involved?

To sign up for the CAG Warmachine and Hordes Builder challenge all you need to do is start a blog thread in this forum that includes the following;

-Your Forum Name
-The Faction you've chosen to build

Example; my thread is entitled Carl – Legion of Everblight (WM –H Builder Challenge)

For anyone wanting to build an army list using the new point values please check out Forward Kommander.

How the Challenge is Structured

A Battle Challenge typically takes place over the course of three Calendar months; this time round it will run July through October 2010. Kickoff day will be Monday July 12th, 2010. The street date for the Hordes MKII rulebook is still not set but we can still start assembling and painting miniatures without the rules.

Each month is a Phase of the Battle Challenge. In that Phase you will be encouraged complete a certain amount of Hobby Activity during that time.

Phase 1 - July 12th to August 15th 2010

During the Kickoff Phase you will be challenged to build and paint 15 to 20 pts of Hordes miniatures. You can either pick a Warlock and units to meet this point value or paint the figures from one of the starter sets.

This will be the 'break-in' time for all of us to post questions in the Rules section, and propose army lists and ideas to the more experienced players in each of our individual Blogs. An in-game photo with your painted faction models and a brief Battle Report is also encouraged to be posted in the Battle Reports section from each of us.

To summarize;

Goals:
• paint 15-20 pts of models from your Faction and post a group shot of it in your Blog.
• play at least one game with your starting force

Ask as many questions as you want in the Hordes Builder Rules section to get yourself comfortable with the system.

Phase 2 - August 16th to September 12th 2010

This is the main phase in Battle Challenge, and will be where you start to get comfortable with your faction and start to experiment with different Characters, Solos and even different Warcasters and Warlocks. As an added challenge you will be challenged to create a single piece of terrain. This can either be terrain for use as a Warlock's Spell Effect (like Baldur's Rapid Growth spell) or a piece of terrain themed to fit in with your faction. This challenge is totally optional, but will add a theme to your scenery collection and earn you massive kudos with your peers.

To summarize;

Goals:
• Paint additional models to create a 35pt army from your chosen Faction and post a group shot of it in your Blog.
• Play at least one 35 point game with at least 1 photo in-game.
• Build a cool piece of scenery to represent a Warcaster or Warlock's Spell Effect or something fitting with your faction.

Phase 3 - September 13th to October 25th 2010

This is the final month phase of the Challenge. We should all at this point have played at least two games and be comfortable enough in the rules for Warmachine and Hordes that we're all bickering about army selection and the benefits of specific characters. During this Phase you will be challenged to paint up enough models to play a 50 point army. You will also be challenged to play at least one game with a Warcaster or Warlock that was not the one you painted initially for your Phase 1 army in order to try out different tactics within your faction. Finally, the optional challenge for this Phase will be to recruit and paint at least one Minion solo or unit to play with your Faction in this phase. Make sure to check out which Minions will work with your faction.

To summarize;

Goals:
• Paint additional models to create a 50pt army from your chosen Faction and post a group shot of it in your Blog.
• Paint at least one new Warlock from your Faction to try out the different play styles available and use them in a game.
• Play at least one 50 point game using the full rules for Strategies, Schemes, Special terrain and Events and post a Battle Report with at least 1 photo in-game.
• Paint a Minion unit or Solo to add to your army and post a photo of it on your Blog.

Health and Safety Warning

Not everyone has the same level of Hobby Skills as you do (good or bad!). The point of the Battle Challenge is that we support, not disparage our fellows in this community. Keep all criticism constructive and all trash talk civil. Taking part in Battle Challenge is winning Battle Challenge, so lets have some fun.

Lastly, please don't stress about due-dates. They're there so we're encouraged to drive ourselves a bit and there's no punishment for not completing a given Phase to the end (except probably some friendly ribbing). The goal is to finish, but the point is to have fun and if you're not doing that then we've missed the point.

By starting a Blog you are agreeing to these two conditions, so please bear that in mind.

Last edited by Carl_Dillon on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:11 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine / Hordes (WM -H) Builder Challenge   Warmachine / Hordes (WM -H) Builder Challenge EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 5:16 pm

what about current factions....like currently....I have 35 ptts primed or put together already. Would I start new? Or hold off what I'm doing now and start up next month....lol

OR

I could just start building my Legion....lol
Back to top Go down
Carl_Dillon
Forum Moderator
Carl_Dillon

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine / Hordes (WM -H) Builder Challenge   Warmachine / Hordes (WM -H) Builder Challenge EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 5:35 pm

I figure that its about getting an army full painted, learning the rules and trying out some new tactics. So even if you own an army get it painted up and dive into the game! I was able to play a 35 point game last night but have a ton to learn and paint and theres nothing like a challenge to get the ball rolling.
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine / Hordes (WM -H) Builder Challenge   Warmachine / Hordes (WM -H) Builder Challenge EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 2:38 pm

So, what if we are ahead of the first step, but not quite into the second step? LOL

I've got about 44 points already for Circle, but haven't gotten an actual real game in.

I have:
Kruegar (if you have the mini for the epic, do you HAVE to use him as an epic, or can you use him as either?) - painted
Lord of the Feast - painted
Gnarlhorn Satyr - painted (avatar lol)
Woldwatcher - painted
Feral Warpwolf - painted
2x Argus - both painted
Woldwarden - just got, assembled but not painted nor primed... But, base is fully painted! Wink
6x Tharn Ravagers - Beast lord and one regular guy painted
Tharn Ravager Shaman - painted
Back to top Go down
Rogue4525
Neophyte
Rogue4525

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine / Hordes (WM -H) Builder Challenge   Warmachine / Hordes (WM -H) Builder Challenge EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 2:53 pm

We'll be doing something veeeeeeeery similar to this at Eastside. It will be slightly less hardcore, as I believe that we have some people who are slower painters.

Stay tuned for details in the next week Wink.
Back to top Go down
beckmd
Neophyte
beckmd

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine / Hordes (WM -H) Builder Challenge   Warmachine / Hordes (WM -H) Builder Challenge EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 3:14 pm

Bojesphob wrote:

Kruegar (if you have the mini for the epic, do you HAVE to use him as an epic, or can you use him as either?) - painted

PP has a no-proxy rule for their "official" events. In this case, you would have to use the epic model to play the epic version and the normal model to play the normal version.

However, I've never been denied the use of a proxy by an opponent, though I've never tried to proxy something at a tournament. If you were to play in a tournament, you should field the actual model you intend to play.
Back to top Go down
Carl_Dillon
Forum Moderator
Carl_Dillon

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine / Hordes (WM -H) Builder Challenge   Warmachine / Hordes (WM -H) Builder Challenge EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 3:41 pm

Bojesphob wrote:
So, what if we are ahead of the first step, but not quite into the second step? LOL

Doesn't matter. I think that the core idea is to bring everyone together to learn or become better at the game while motivating each other to reach that final goal of having a fully painted 50 pt army with some options and knowing the ins and outs of it.
Back to top Go down
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine / Hordes (WM -H) Builder Challenge   Warmachine / Hordes (WM -H) Builder Challenge EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 3:58 pm

your killing me....Let me know on this...LOL
Back to top Go down
Affliction
Forum Moderator
Affliction

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine / Hordes (WM -H) Builder Challenge   Warmachine / Hordes (WM -H) Builder Challenge EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 3:07 am

After hearing "Rogues" (for the life of me I cant remember your name right now) I think both the challenges will coincide.

I am game for both, will wait for him to post his rules for his idea.

I will be going with a Cryx, Valenthrax Theme list.

With the first 15 points I can hit Tier 3, and with 35 will hit Tier 4 then just build up the last 15 points with who knows what.

Waiting for stuff I ordered then I will start a post and go from there.
Back to top Go down
http://theblackparade2010.blogspot.com/
Carl_Dillon
Forum Moderator
Carl_Dillon

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine / Hordes (WM -H) Builder Challenge   Warmachine / Hordes (WM -H) Builder Challenge EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 1:55 pm

There is a new section on the CAG forum specifically for painting and conversion challenges. I would like to have people who are interested in this to post their blogs to that section. Its called "Painting and Conversion Competitions".
CJ I already split your post and moved it over there for ya.
Thanks everyone,
Carl
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warmachine / Hordes (WM -H) Builder Challenge   Warmachine / Hordes (WM -H) Builder Challenge Empty

Back to top Go down

Warmachine / Hordes (WM -H) Builder Challenge
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Painting, Conversions and Tutorials :: Painting and Conversion Competitions-
Jump to: