CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wood elves unbalanced?

Go down 
+4
Sigma Golem
JMarv
Briandand
Rob
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rob
Neophyte
Rob

Wood elves unbalanced? Empty
PostSubject: Wood elves unbalanced?   Wood elves unbalanced? EmptyMon Dec 10, 2007 10:14 pm

Iwas just wandering, because when i mentioned to some of the people who have played fantasy for a while that i was considering starting wood elve, they gave my that "go die in a hole" look.
Back to top Go down
Briandand
Neophyte

PostSubject: Don't Sweat It   Wood elves unbalanced? EmptyTue Dec 11, 2007 12:16 am

I dont know much about wood elves, but i wouldn't worry about the looks you get from people, i get that same look everytime when they find out my High Elves go first even if they charge. Every army has its pro's and con's its up to you to find out what those con's are and turn them into pro's. So basically don't let that look be the cause of not having a Wood Elf army. Happy Gaming
Back to top Go down
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

PostSubject: Re: Wood elves unbalanced?   Wood elves unbalanced? EmptyTue Dec 11, 2007 9:01 am

I don't think any of the fantasy armies are really that unbalanced. I believe wood elves used to be in an older edition. But I think they've corrected that now, so happy wood elf playing.
Back to top Go down
Sigma Golem
Sergeant
Sergeant
Sigma Golem

PostSubject: Re: Wood elves unbalanced?   Wood elves unbalanced? EmptyTue Dec 11, 2007 12:19 pm

I been told they are one armie not to take lightly.I was also told they can shoot like nobodys buisness,from afar off.
I think I would also like to check this faction out for a second armie.They look great.
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: Wood elves unbalanced?   Wood elves unbalanced? EmptyTue Dec 11, 2007 2:29 pm

I would only raise a brow if a saw two Treemen set up across from me.

But that can be said for others (two Steam Tanks and WarAltar, etc)

High Elves are filthy right now.

Teclis
2x Lvl 2 mages-jewel of dusk, ring of corin, ring of fury
3x 10 Archers
10x swordmaster with banner of sorcery
5x shadow warriors
4x bolt throwers
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

PostSubject: Re: Wood elves unbalanced?   Wood elves unbalanced? EmptyTue Dec 11, 2007 3:11 pm

Actually, Rob wanted to start a wood elf army with lots of dryads and stuff, if I remember correctly.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Neophyte
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Wood elves unbalanced?   Wood elves unbalanced? EmptyTue Dec 11, 2007 4:28 pm

I'm not so sure anymore, i really like all of their core choices. Beyond that pure skirmishers seems too 40kish
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: Wood elves unbalanced?   Wood elves unbalanced? EmptyTue Dec 11, 2007 5:56 pm

Dryads are prolly the best point for point model in the game.

Whats the drawback?
Back to top Go down
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

PostSubject: Re: Wood elves unbalanced?   Wood elves unbalanced? EmptyTue Dec 11, 2007 6:04 pm

I have fought Wood Elves with skaven and I saw nothing unbalanced about them(at 1000 points...well ok it was a 3 way battle and we only got through 2 turns but still)
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: Wood elves unbalanced?   Wood elves unbalanced? EmptyTue Dec 11, 2007 7:25 pm

Agreed. Things do get crazy when multiple Rares are involved (2000pts)

Last edited by on Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

PostSubject: Re: Wood elves unbalanced?   Wood elves unbalanced? EmptyTue Dec 11, 2007 7:37 pm

The downside of dryads is fire, although that only usually happens if you've geared a list against them, but then it hurts pretty bad.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Neophyte
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Wood elves unbalanced?   Wood elves unbalanced? EmptyTue Dec 11, 2007 7:45 pm

The twi things that drew me to wood elves was the fluff and the fact that they have a bunch of nice looking models(also meaning they have a reasonable chance at getting painted). Right now my hope is to pick up the battalion box and do some experimenting in lower point games and see where to go from there.
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: Wood elves unbalanced?   Wood elves unbalanced? EmptyWed Dec 12, 2007 8:48 am

500pt games shall see your WEs excel. Lower leadership (as only Hero characters allowed) will have the Fear working for you. Shooting is quite good at that point mark as well.

You'll do quite well Wink
Back to top Go down
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

PostSubject: Re: Wood elves unbalanced?   Wood elves unbalanced? EmptyWed Dec 12, 2007 9:55 am

Yeah, I got stomped once in a 500 or 750 pt game against wood elves. He took two units of dryads and one block of archers. My poor skinks and saurus' didn't even see what hit them.
Back to top Go down
Sigma Golem
Sergeant
Sergeant
Sigma Golem

PostSubject: Re: Wood elves unbalanced?   Wood elves unbalanced? EmptyWed Dec 12, 2007 11:56 am

I herd the Archors wood elves are very danderous when they are lined up in max units.What other wood elve units are not to be rekoned with?
How can the dwarfs counter againts them?
Back to top Go down
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

PostSubject: Re: Wood elves unbalanced?   Wood elves unbalanced? EmptyWed Dec 12, 2007 12:51 pm

Wood elves, like most elf units, can dish but cannot take. If you can get into close combat with most wood elf units dwarves will make short work of them. Dwarf heavy armor should also allow units to approach without taking too many casualties. Also beware the dryads. They are fear causing living trees with invulnerable saves. If have a flame cannon or make a cannon or stone thrower flame causing you can hurt them pretty bad, but they are nasty in combat.
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: Wood elves unbalanced?   Wood elves unbalanced? EmptyWed Dec 12, 2007 1:45 pm

JMarv wrote:
If you can get into close combat with most wood elf units dwarves will make short work of them.

Not as easy with M3/6 Dwarves vs Skirmishing M5/10 Dryads.

..but thats why you play the games Wink
Back to top Go down
Sigma Golem
Sergeant
Sergeant
Sigma Golem

PostSubject: Re: Wood elves unbalanced?   Wood elves unbalanced? EmptyWed Dec 12, 2007 2:18 pm

My goals right now are to stay put and wait for the enemy to come to me,as much as possble.
The woodelves are awesome looking and have been considering them as for a second army.
How many point does your Wood Elves have.?
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: Wood elves unbalanced?   Wood elves unbalanced? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2007 8:04 pm

There really is not a poor unit available to the WEs.

Wardancers are my personal fav.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Neophyte
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Wood elves unbalanced?   Wood elves unbalanced? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2007 8:40 pm

should be interesting. I'm gonna try to have a small army together by the first of the year and see how things go.
Back to top Go down
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant
Evil Bob

PostSubject: Re: Wood elves unbalanced?   Wood elves unbalanced? EmptyMon Jan 07, 2008 7:36 pm

Rob wrote:
Iwas just wandering, because when i mentioned to some of the people who have played fantasy for a while that i was considering starting wood elve, they gave my that "go die in a hole" look.
The Wood Elves needed an update. I'm in agreement about the upsides and downsides. They are not an easy army to fight and require many brain cells that die horribly as those Dryads just go where ever they are needed.

If anything is wrong with the book it is that other books need updating too. It is not as if GW can do them all at once, there has to be an order. With many books in many game systems there are often room for abuse so in the end it is the player of the Wood Elves that is more important than the fact it is a Wood Elf army.

I think a well build Dwarf Force can fight Wood Elves. Even the Treekin units.
Back to top Go down
Sigma Golem
Sergeant
Sergeant
Sigma Golem

PostSubject: Re: Wood elves unbalanced?   Wood elves unbalanced? EmptyMon Jan 07, 2008 8:28 pm

That makes me feel better,cause I was told by a really good dwarf player as well,that those wood elves were a pain in the rump!
Back to top Go down
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant
Evil Bob

PostSubject: Re: Wood elves unbalanced?   Wood elves unbalanced? EmptyMon Jan 07, 2008 8:46 pm

Sigma Golem wrote:
That makes me feel better,cause I was told by a really good dwarf player as well,that those wood elves were a pain in the rump!
Oh they can easily be a pain the rump. Those Dryads move at 10" in any direction they want and hit harder than other skirmishers. Part of anyone's strategy against Wood Elves is how they are going to take the Dryad charges or on the rare case get the charge on those woody freaks. Laughing

I played one game where this guy had four or more units of Dryads. Us normal have to think carefully about where we want to place our boys and how they will maneuver through the game. This guy evenly spaced out his units across his side of the table. With their excellent maneuverability they all made it to contact pretty much where he wanted them to go much to my suffering.

Wood Elves only start getting silly in a bad way when encountering too many of the bigger treekin.
Back to top Go down
Sigma Golem
Sergeant
Sergeant
Sigma Golem

PostSubject: Re: Wood elves unbalanced?   Wood elves unbalanced? EmptyMon Jan 07, 2008 8:53 pm

What is a good counter for Dwarfs,when up againts a army of Woodys?
Back to top Go down
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant
Evil Bob

PostSubject: Re: Wood elves unbalanced?   Wood elves unbalanced? EmptyMon Jan 07, 2008 9:15 pm

Sigma Golem wrote:
What is a good counter for Dwarfs,when up againts a army of Woodys?
Someone else already mentioned fire. You can also rubber stamp artillery to be magical. Which is a bad thing for leafy ward saves. Actually the guy who brought up fire was being very helpful because their is some kind of ubber annoying regenerative save that the big tree(s?) lose after being wounded by fire.

It has been awhile but I believe your rifles are at a disadvantage to the elf long bow in range. So consider artillery with good block troops for protection. Dryads can control a charge but if the defending unit pulls an oath stone on them then they can be stuck in a quagmire. A hero with a magical weapon in a resolute unit will scythe Dryads unless they have a plan for it, which I have forgotten that specific trick (but it ain't pretty).

In theory small rifle units near the artillery might work. Have a block axe/sword & shield unit out in front. Elf archers can fire at the armored block unit while taking artillery hits. The rifles to one side and behind the block unit fire at Dryads to soften them or the elf archers if the woodies try to shoot your artillery (the idea being if they want to shoot your artillery they will have to get in range of your rifles). If Dryads move towards the rifleman widdle them with shooting and discourage with the block infantry unit. Although herding Dryads is rediculously hard. It might work.

Don't take everything I say too seriously. Haven't played in awhile so this is at least a year old stuff. The basics should be solid, the game couldn't have changed that much in the mean-time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wood elves unbalanced?   Wood elves unbalanced? Empty

Back to top Go down

Wood elves unbalanced?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Warhammer Fantasy :: Fantasy General Discussion-
Jump to: