CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Airbrushing equipment and use

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Carl_Dillon
Forum Moderator
Carl_Dillon

Airbrushing equipment and use Empty
PostSubject: Airbrushing equipment and use   Airbrushing equipment and use EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 11:38 am

Hey all,
I'm planning to add Airbrushing to my skill set and want to get my ducks in a row before I start buying up every shinny object out there. I plan on doing extremely fine detail work with them and have received the following recommendation for an airbrush set.

The Infinity 2 in 1 air brush.
What other core things should I look at getting? I've seen spray booths, stands for holding the air brush and stuff like that. I already have a light table for tracing designs onto and other basic stuff for art.
Are there any videos on you tube or books you would recommend?
Since I plan to use paints from reaper and gw and thin them myself what tools / equipment would you recommend? Like thinners or whatever. What type of material do you use for masking areas on models?
Thanks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Airbrushing equipment and use   Airbrushing equipment and use EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 11:57 am

I have a hood I purchased and installed in the house. Not needed but very good idea if you intend to spray w/ enamels other thinners.

1) YOu need a mask if you don't have a hood. Airbrushes atomize the paint making it very easy to inhale. You should use a mask even if you have a hood.

2) Thinner. For acrylics, windex is perfect. I use Golden Acrylics AB thinner. For tamiya acrylics, use their thinner. Generally, thinner produced for a brand of paint works better with that paint. For oils, you'll need a lighter turpenoid. For enamels, a thinner again.

3) Masking. Tamiya tape. Available at HT USA. Or Frisket. Essentially a clear sheet that has light adhesive that can be cut to a shape you want. There are also commercially available masks for camo patterns and windows...not so much for Fantasy or Sci Fi Gaming.

4) I have 2 videos you are welcome to borrow.

5) a brush cleaner station is nice. It can hold your brush and you over spray into it.

6) Get fine cleaners and pipe cleaners. Bristle brushes. Keeping your tool clean is a priority to it functioning well, time and again.

7) Paints. Crappy luck w/ Vallejo Model Color. Too lumpy. Needs to really be mixed. Lots of clogging. I've had great luck spraying GW paint thinned 2:1 (thinner to paint approx). I've had good luck w/ Vallejo model air (pre thinned for base coats). I've had good luck w/ Tamiya acrylics. I haven't sprayed oils but I've sprayed thinner through my AB.

Cool What did you get for a compressor? if you haven't bought one yet, I recommend high end w/ a tank. Seriously will save a lot of frustration. That or a CO2 tank that you can refill.
Back to top Go down
Carl_Dillon
Forum Moderator
Carl_Dillon

PostSubject: Re: Airbrushing equipment and use   Airbrushing equipment and use EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 12:39 pm

Thanks John,
I'm picking up the starter set from Chicago air brush supply. They have a smart jet compressor in the package deal. The link is supplied in my original post.
I've used the masking tape from HT USA many times. I've seen the frisket used while others were air brushing so I'm familiar with its use. I have a really nice mask to wear while painting and safety glasses. I could probably save a hundred bucks on the airbrush station by just building my own temporary one when I use it.
Back to top Go down
Affliction
Forum Moderator
Affliction

PostSubject: Re: Airbrushing equipment and use   Airbrushing equipment and use EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 4:10 pm

I bought that set Carl and love it.

I know John said that he has problem with Vallejo paint, but I have not had any issues. I have sprayed 8 40K tanks and 8 Drop pods with out any issues.

I use Colden Airbrush Medium, and mix it 50:50.

The only clumping I have had is the Vallejo Metallic. They do seem to clump with the 0.15 needle, but if you switch to the 0.40 you shouldn't have a issue.

I built and spray booth from Foamboard and it has lasted me 6 months with no issues.

Also if you ordered from Chicago Airbrush (that's where I got mine) I would suggest this for a quick disconnect and this for a cleaning kit.

The cleaning kit is amazing and I just use the bottle to store it in and not to fill with cleaner.

I have owned mine for a while now and love it.

Watch any on the Awesome Paintjob videos <--(by far my favorite painting site),
Les uses a Infinity 2-1 to paint all his stuff. I have seen that guy do multiple highlights on a model even before he picks up a standard brush. His work is great.

Also, check out Painting Corp. They have a series on beginning airbrush, and a TON of good articles on painting in general.

EDIT:

I also bought some disposable gloves from Kroger, a box if 50 for like $2.00.

Start collecting 2L and 20oz. bottle caps. They work great with a ball of sticky tack as a holder so you can hit all angles.

Only thing I don't have that I wish I did was a cleaning station.
Back to top Go down
http://theblackparade2010.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Airbrushing equipment and use   Airbrushing equipment and use EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 5:40 pm

Just VMC. Not VGC. Wink
Back to top Go down
Affliction
Forum Moderator
Affliction

PostSubject: Re: Airbrushing equipment and use   Airbrushing equipment and use EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 6:57 pm

Sorry, had a miss read in there.

Yeah I haven't used any VMC, guess the pigments are different.

Need to see if Clint can get some of the Airbrush series from them. If not I may try to get a few bottles online to try it out.
Back to top Go down
Carl_Dillon
Forum Moderator
Carl_Dillon

PostSubject: Re: Airbrushing equipment and use   Airbrushing equipment and use EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 7:20 am

The Black Parade wrote:

Need to see if Clint can get some of the Airbrush series from them. If not I may try to get a few bottles online to try it out.

He can Chad. I didn't have a chance to dive into the videos last night after we talked but will have to do it soon. I'm already trolling awesomepaintjob.com and fromthewarp this morning.

I'm going to add a new section to the painting area for general discussion about painting. Specifically for threads like this and to ask and share general painting information. It should really help those of us who want to greatly improve on our painting ability.
Back to top Go down
Carl_Dillon
Forum Moderator
Carl_Dillon

PostSubject: Re: Airbrushing equipment and use   Airbrushing equipment and use EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 7:58 am

Hey Chad, which air regulator should I look at getting? So far I am looking at
The brush and compressor starter
Iwata Table-Top Cleaning Station
Iwata Table-Top Cleaning Station: Replacment Filter for Iwata Cleaning Pot
Mack Airbrush Cleaning Kit
Grex Micro Air Control Valve

As for the frisket, airbrush mediums and thinners for the paint I think I will buy them locally.
Back to top Go down
Affliction
Forum Moderator
Affliction

PostSubject: Re: Airbrushing equipment and use   Airbrushing equipment and use EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 9:30 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Airbrushing equipment and use   Airbrushing equipment and use Empty

Back to top Go down

Airbrushing equipment and use
Page 1 of 1