CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Varnish/Finish for Models

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Turuk
Neophyte
Turuk

Varnish/Finish for Models Empty
PostSubject: Varnish/Finish for Models   Varnish/Finish for Models EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 10:03 am

Just looking to get some insight from other forum readers on what they use to ensure that the paint on their models stays that way. I've toyed around with a few things before, but I'm trying to avoid that shiny effect. Any and all opinions would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
http://plasticpaintprose.blogspot.com/
Cat Fashions
Neophyte
Cat Fashions

PostSubject: Re: Varnish/Finish for Models   Varnish/Finish for Models EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 10:06 am

Personally, I don't really use varnish that much, I just make sure that my army's kept safe in my battlefoam case.

Then again, my army is 95% plastic and I don't think paint chips off of plastic the way it does off pewter.
Back to top Go down
Warmonger
Initiate
Initiate
Warmonger

PostSubject: Re: Varnish/Finish for Models   Varnish/Finish for Models EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 10:33 am

I always clear coat my models. After putting a lot of time painting them I like them protected. I use GW Matt finish clear coat but any spray clear coat will work. You should be able to find something cheaper at Lowes, craft stores, ect. If that's an issue.
Back to top Go down
Turuk
Neophyte
Turuk

PostSubject: Re: Varnish/Finish for Models   Varnish/Finish for Models EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 12:43 pm

That's a fair point about the plastic, most of mine are as well, so it is less likely to chip off.

Warmonger, that actually sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, I will have to get some and give a try. I've tried a few craft store brands, but they left a bit of a shine.
Back to top Go down
GreenJello
Neophyte
GreenJello

PostSubject: Re: Varnish/Finish for Models   Varnish/Finish for Models EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 10:19 pm

Depends on exactly what you want.

A LOT of people swear by Testor's Dull Coat. It's a bit expensive but gets the job done. The only downside is that it WILL effect the way your models look, though on a pretty subtle level, since it results in everything getting super matt, and I feel adds a little something. I can't put my finger on what, but I can usualy tell when a model has been Dull Coated.

I've had pretty good luck with Armory and Krylon sealer, but every once in a while you'll get some frosting. Spraying indoors, or avoiding high humidity seems to fix this problem. If it does frost, you can spray again.

If it doesn't frost up you will get EXACTLY what you put into your model. This is important if you put an incredibly amount of work into models. Not so important for table top.

Valejjo also makes a brush on sealer that I'm currently shooting through my air brush that seems to work very well.

Finally correct priming and handling will fix a lot of problems too. I've got some 25 year old Space Marines that I sealed back in the day, and have kept in a case for most of their lives, and they haven't had any problems with paint rubbing off.
Back to top Go down
Turuk
Neophyte
Turuk

PostSubject: Re: Varnish/Finish for Models   Varnish/Finish for Models EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 10:56 pm

GreenJello wrote:
Depends on exactly what you want.
I've had pretty good luck with Armory and Krylon sealer, but every once in a while you'll get some frosting. Spraying indoors, or avoiding high humidity seems to fix this problem. If it does frost, you can spray again.

If it doesn't frost up you will get EXACTLY what you put into your model. This is important if you put an incredibly amount of work into models. Not so important for table top.

Ah, now this is good to know. I am nowhere near the amazing painting quality of Golden Daemons, but I enjoy painting my miniatures so it's certainly more than just getting them ready quickly for tabletop. I wanted a sealer that would not alter the look of the model.

I'll take note on the handling part, I need to invest in a quality foam case in order to transport my orks.
Back to top Go down
GreenJello
Neophyte
GreenJello

PostSubject: Re: Varnish/Finish for Models   Varnish/Finish for Models EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 10:22 am

Turuk wrote:

I'll take note on the handling part, I need to invest in a quality foam case in order to transport my orks.
Depending on what you want, I'd suggest making your own, or buying a gun case. I've been using gun cases for years, and no problems, you can get them at walmart for $20, and it's usually enough to carry 100-150 figure sized models.

For vehicles I've got a toolbox with custom cut foam, but you can also do it with a portable file holder from Staples/Office Depot.

Instructions here:
http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?66545-DIY-Mini-Case-Twice-the-Space-Half-the-Cash!
Back to top Go down
Turuk
Neophyte
Turuk

PostSubject: Re: Varnish/Finish for Models   Varnish/Finish for Models EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 5:40 pm

I am all for cheaper, easier DIY solutions to problems. I appreciate the advice, I will be checking it out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Varnish/Finish for Models   Varnish/Finish for Models Empty

Back to top Go down

Varnish/Finish for Models
Page 1 of 1