CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sealing techniques

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

Sealing techniques Empty
PostSubject: Sealing techniques   Sealing techniques EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 1:21 pm

How do you all seal your minis? I attempted to seal some recently, by using Gloss Varnish from GW, then doing a matte varnish spray, also GW, to remove the gloss, but for some reason, I lose highlighting detail when I do so, and sometimes the matte varnish spray doesn't coat well enough to get rid of all the gloss. Since I'm starting to get into the commission side of painting, I want to be able to seal them and still be able to have it retain the look that I wanted while painting.

Back to top Go down
CJ
Captain
Captain

Sealing techniques Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sealing techniques   Sealing techniques EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 3:12 pm

Bojesphob wrote:
How do you all seal your minis? I attempted to seal some recently, by using Gloss Varnish from GW, then doing a matte varnish spray, also GW, to remove the gloss, but for some reason, I lose highlighting detail when I do so, and sometimes the matte varnish spray doesn't coat well enough to get rid of all the gloss. Since I'm starting to get into the commission side of painting, I want to be able to seal them and still be able to have it retain the look that I wanted while painting.

Skip the gloss and just use a Matte finish. I also use Testors Dull Coat....works really well.
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

Sealing techniques Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sealing techniques   Sealing techniques EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 3:30 pm

Does that actually keep the paint from chipping? I've done that with the GW matte varnish spray, and I've had the paint chip off....

I'll have to look for the Testors. Is that normally at Hobby Lobby or Michaels?
Back to top Go down
GreenJello
Neophyte
GreenJello

Sealing techniques Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sealing techniques   Sealing techniques EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 4:26 pm

I seriously suggest testing Testors on something first. Might I suggest an old spur with both white and black one it?

I can tell when something's been sealed with Testors. If you like the look (and a lot of people do) then go for it. But it DOES effect the way the model looks.

Personally I run Valejjo brush on Matt Sealer through an air brush. My fiance who's a professional graphic artist, and got nearly a perfect score on a tone test cannot tell where the spray began and end on the black primered spur I used for a test.

Before that I've used both Krylon and Armory Spray Sealer to good effect. You have to watch humidity and thick coats, which can cause frosting, but other than that is prefect. Oh and they're also cheaper/bigger bottle than Testors.
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

Sealing techniques Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sealing techniques   Sealing techniques EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 8:38 am

Hmmm. Well, I don't have a spray gun, so does the Valejo brush on do ok, well, brushed on? I'm not big on spray gun painting, so I probably won't invest in one just to seal my minis. I guess maybe I'll try each of these on minis I don't care about, like some space marines or imperial guard... I've got a crap ton of both of those.
Back to top Go down
GreenJello
Neophyte
GreenJello

Sealing techniques Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sealing techniques   Sealing techniques EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 11:28 am

Bojesphob wrote:
Hmmm. Well, I don't have a spray gun, so does the Valejo brush on do ok, well, brushed on?
I've never done a whole mini, but I've used it to touch up places here and there.

Honestly, if you're not going to get a gun, Krylon/Armory Sealer is a better choice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sealing techniques Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sealing techniques   Sealing techniques Empty

Back to top Go down

Sealing techniques
Page 1 of 1