CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) Empty
PostSubject: WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)   WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) EmptyMon Dec 31, 2007 11:07 am

Ok, I have another post with some WIP stuff for my Ultramarine themed Imperial Guard. I got this Cadian Sentinel on sale the other day (30% off! Woo hoo!) and decided i would try to paint it the way that I am thinking of painting the baneblade (that I just got in the mail today!! Smile ) ... So, anyhow, here's what it looks like:

WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) IGSentinel1

WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) IGSentinel2
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)   WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) EmptyMon Dec 31, 2007 12:04 pm

the paint looks like it was applied rather thick.

I'm not too fond of the color scheme, why go with those colors to accent the blue?
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)   WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) EmptyMon Dec 31, 2007 1:42 pm

I think it's the inking more than anything that's making it look thick, well, that and the lighting for the camera, as I went with a very watered down mix of paint as I was painting, so it wasn't all that thick going on. Though, I also tried a dry brush of Boltgun metal on the edges to make it look more battle worn, and that might be affecting the look of the paint as well...

The reason for the colors was that I was trying to go with the same color scheme as what I did with the Imp Guard I did earlier, but if the colors don't go well together on it, I can definitely try just blue? Is it just the yellow that looks out of place, or the red as well?
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)   WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) EmptyMon Dec 31, 2007 2:49 pm

gotcha, the trick with color schemes is to work with some color theory. Blue with yellow or orange works well, but with the brownish color it begins to look tired and muddy.

Perhaps blue with some yellow or bright gold accent, try using a very bright silver color and then brown inking over the top of that... it produces a bright bronze-gold that could work for accenting, this works best on detailed areas instead of large plains.

For battle damage try doing a black, with a bit of bolt gun over that (try to be thin here)... then paint the bottom edge of the damage with a thin strip of white, and the top with a thin strip of black... this will create and effect that makes it look as though the paint has actually chipped off, showing the recessed area of metal underneath.
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)   WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) EmptyMon Dec 31, 2007 4:22 pm

No real flow to this model IMO

I'd go ahead and do an UltraBlue/Black/White/Grey camo pattern.

Four colours, no more, no less. (re: camo, black, dk brown, lt brown)

Rubble up that base Wink
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)   WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) EmptyMon Dec 31, 2007 4:42 pm

Thanks, Marc. This if the first IG vehicle I've done, so I'm still trying to figure out the best way of doing it.... I guess I'll try a few different things with it and see what feels the best with it with color combos.... If I come up with anything worth showing, I'll post another pic
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)   WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) EmptyMon Dec 31, 2007 5:34 pm

Here is something along the lines Marc is talking about.

The white areas of camo aren't true white (nothing ever is really, and when it is it looks strange). More of a gray blue.

WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) ColorScheme

If you are going for a look that will compliment you marines on the board, I would recommend going for a guard army heavy in tans and khaki, which would look striking next to the blue Ultramarines. Perhaps you could then include areas of blue with Ultramarine livery to show that they "belong" to the ultramarines, or frequently fight alongside them.
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)   WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) EmptyMon Dec 31, 2007 5:43 pm

bojesphob1 wrote:
If I come up with anything worth showing, I'll post another pic

Everything is worth showing Wink Please post those pics.

Its good to see some activity. Keep at it..
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)   WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) EmptyTue Jan 01, 2008 2:14 pm

Matt, I like that Tan and Khaki idea. I'll have to see what colors I have along those lines, and if I don't have anything worthwhile, I'll have to go get some more....

I got my Baneblade yesterday and have already started assembling it! I'll be having some pics with that once I finish assembly.... Though, I'm not going to paint it until I get the color scheme worked out on this sentinel, though....
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)   WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) EmptyTue Jan 01, 2008 10:41 pm

Yeah, keep working on the color scheme. I think you could come up with something much better.

Let us know how the baneblade is coming!
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)   WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2008 8:49 am

Well, I worked most of the day yesterday, and I have the BaneBlade assembled!!! Woo hoo!

So, I have a bit of cleaning of flashing and mold lines, thought I tried to do as much of that as I could as I was assembling.

A few things you'll notice:

1. There is an Adeptus Mechanicus Tech-Marine in the turret. I figured I'd give the UM Baneblade a marine attache
2. I have the other gun for the turret sitting next to the tank... This is because I have magnitized the turret so i can swap the Baneblade/hellhammer guns
3. The UM forgeworld U on the side. I also put one on the other side as well.
4. Forgeworld purity seals on the front, and then a purity skull on the middle of the front between the treads.

Anyhow, here it is in all it's glory:

WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) _1012718

WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) _1012719

WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) _1012720
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)   WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2008 10:14 am

Looks great.

I also like the model of the QB running away from another sack. Good idea going with black pants/jersey as not to worry about painting dirt on his bum, back and knees.
Back to top Go down
Rhino-182
Initiate
Initiate
Rhino-182

PostSubject: Re: WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)   WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2008 11:31 am

the red and yellow on it look rather busy. try to add it in smaller less subtile places.

also, not to pick at you, bet if you want a hellhammer baneblade, your side sponsons need to be hvy. flamers. but if you want a standard baneblade, you need to swap out the barels
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)   WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2008 11:41 am

Well, the red and yellow on the Land Raider I'm comfortable with. It does look a little busy, but I really wasn't comfortable with making the whole thing blue, and I like having it a little different than what most everybody else has.... But thanks for the critiques, though, I do like making sure that it looks as good as I can get it... Though, if you're referring to the Sentinel, then, yeah, I agree with you on that. I'll be repainting that hopefully starting tomorrow...

And, I guess I didn't know about the bolters having to be able to be changed out as well.... It really doesn't state that in the directions, nor on the box, and at the moment, that's all I had to go off of to actually build the thing (though, I'm sure the pics had the correct ones, but I was more looking at the directions). That should be easy enough to rectify, as I might just modify the heavy flamers to just snap in over the bolters? Or, that might just be one of those "Hey, these are heavy flamers since it's a Hellhammer...." type things....
Back to top Go down
Rhino-182
Initiate
Initiate
Rhino-182

PostSubject: Re: WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)   WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2008 11:54 am

yeah, it was in the apoc book.
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)   WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2008 12:05 pm

Yeah.... I don't have that yet, which would explain why I didn't know about it.... That's ok, though, at least I'm aware of it now, so I appreciate you mentioning it!!
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)   WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2008 3:45 pm

I'm still not convinced the muddy yellow even goes with the blue at all.
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)   WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2008 3:56 pm

To each their own, I guess, Matt.... I remember reading somewhere that the Ultramarines' colors were UM blue, yellow, red and white..... Though for the life of me I can't remember where I heard that from, maybe I imagined it... Since I'm still pretty new to doing this full tilt, I'm trying to absorb everything that I can, but things get missed/altered unintentionally in my mind... The blue and yellow were actually the colors of my high school, so maybe that's where I got it from. That might be something I modify sometime later, but for now, I've got too much to paint for the first time before I start worrying about stuff that I've already got sealed... I'll definitely not do the Baneblade like that, and the Sentinel is my test bed for the 'blade, so I guess that will have to work for now..
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)   WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) EmptyWed Jan 02, 2008 4:59 pm

Yellow is a color Ultramarines use, not so much anymore (GW have moved more to gold) but it is something that can look really good.

I think the problem is, is that the yellow you have is very muddy. Try painting a brighter yellow over a more favorable undercoat (say white or gray). Keep the layers thin and it won't thicken up as you will need multiple layers for yellow to cover properly.
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)   WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) EmptyThu Jan 03, 2008 8:20 am

Well, I used the Tausept Ochre Foundation paint with an overcovering with the darksun yellow foundation.... Would it look better with just the Iyanden darksun (which is the brighter yellow from the foundation paints line)? Thinking about it, the Tausept Ochre is probably why it looks "muddy"....

Anyhow, I repainted the Sentinel... I left the feet and the gun UM blue (though a few spots are peaking out elsewhere that I didn't notice until I took the picture), and I tried a dirty look camo for the top, using a base of a mixture of Calthon Brown (Foundation), Khemri Brown (Foundation), and Desert Yellow with Khemri Brown then Dehned Stone (grayish tan Foundation paint). The legs and torso are black with boltgun metal drybrushed on it (which is why it just looks black in the pic):

WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) _1022739

Does this look any better than the blue?
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)   WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) EmptyThu Jan 03, 2008 11:23 am

Better WiP

As it is the blue feet really pull your eyes away from the model center and there really is no 3rd point of blue (1. feet, 2. weapon) for balance. A type of dominant blue banner would help, but keep it blue. No bright reds or other warms, keep it cold colours such as grey and/dk greens.

Incorporate some type of larger brown piece in the basing (ex: tree truck, cargo crate, etc) to help weigh out your Walker camo scheme. However this banner turns out (ex: dk greens) place those colours as well or in the various hoses, etc as this guy :

WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) Sentinel-01

Good job, keep at it..

Last edited by on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)   WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) EmptyThu Jan 03, 2008 11:28 am

So, go ahead and paint the feet the same brown as the basic color of the top, then.... check... I'll leave the gun base blue, only so I keep some blue on it...

I'll have to think through what I want on the base, though. I've got a few ideas, but nothing concrete yet....
Back to top Go down
Rhino-182
Initiate
Initiate
Rhino-182

PostSubject: Re: WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)   WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) EmptyThu Jan 03, 2008 11:47 am

did you paint that sentinel mark?
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)   WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) EmptyThu Jan 03, 2008 1:55 pm

I'd paint the gun base the camo color too, and rely on something like a banner to get the blue/ultramarine iconography on there. This would make more sense than the guardsman painting their gun partially blue to show their allegiance.

the model being camo will help it pop next to the marines from a purely non-fluff aesthetic point of view.

This one looks waaaaay better though, I like it a lot.
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)   WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) EmptyThu Jan 03, 2008 2:26 pm

Rhino wrote:
did you paint that sentinel mark?

I'm insulted Laughing Wink

The hot pink Lascannon "glow" ...

The arse bent antennae ...

The luverly mold line across the side window thru the front ...

yada yada

Just a quick pic of a banner thingy I could find.
Though now I'm more talk than paint nowadays. Damn PS3

Leave the Blue feet. These Guard do all the Ultra dirty work.
Call the band of hapless fodder the "Foot Wipes"

EDIT : quick typing when I'm typing dammit Laughing

Last edited by on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)   WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme) Empty

Back to top Go down

WIP Sentinel (Ultramarine color scheme)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Painting, Conversions and Tutorials :: WIP Miniature Painting and Conversions-
Jump to: