CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd Empty
PostSubject: Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd   Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd EmptySun Feb 03, 2008 3:42 pm

So, I took the following list.

1750 Dark Angels

HQ

Librarian 120
- really just for the psychic hood, i expect some lashes

Sammael 205
- speeder version

Elites

Deathwing Terminators 245
- 1x pwr swrd + SB, 2x pwr fst + SB, 1x dbl LC, 1x pwr fst + ass cnn

Troops

Ravenwing Assault Squadron 305
- 6 bikes, 2 flamers, 1 pwr fst + attack bike

Ravenwing Assault Squadron 405
- 6 bikes, 2 flamers, 1 pwr fst + attack bike + landspeeder tornado

Heavy Support

Devestator Squad 225
- 10 men, 4x heavy bolters
- perhaps drop these, get 2 more tornadoes?

Devestator Squad 245
- 10 men, 4x missile launchers

Game 1 - patrol

Opponent was Blood Angels, played by a guy named Shawn Moomey. Shaun is their league champion, he also came 5th in the Vegas GT (so this was a fun game).

Some of his Blood Angels can be seen here

A large forest on my left side blocked LOS to a lot of things, so I swung in on his right flank. I crushed his right flank and dropped the death company in the center below half... then i was promptly wiped out, all except my devastator squads.

Shawn is a very skilled player, not a single mistake all game. Very good sportsman too.

I was later congratulated on having stopped him as much as I did. Turns out he doesn't always get held to so few points.

Game 2 - Take and Hold Omega Level

So, the opponent here was Mech Eldar... lots of fun.

Opponents name as brad apparently places in the top 20 consistently in GT's (most of these guys go to just about every GT, and have been for the last 5 or 6 years).

A large piece of terrain and escalation meant it was turn 4 before anything of worth happened. I managed to jump his bikers with mine, and mowed the puny eldar down... only to be falconed and prismed to death. The next turn went back into hide mode, with my terminators being whittled down by a wave serpent full of wraithguard (the only way to play these guys imo). In my final turn I jumped on the objective with everything that could get there, which he did in his turn. Random game length ended it on turn 6 fortunately for me.

I was surprised to hold him to so few points, he only won by 411. Again, another tough list/opponent.

Game 3 - Seek and Destroy

My opponent here was Black Templar and the player Matt was a friend of one of the regulars.

We first started having a conversation about the gaming groups rules, they play everything on the board as area terrain. So terrain is very powerful, plus they play size on everything (something I believe if you read RAW is meant to be played differently). Pretty much, this means... if you have a size 2 unit behind a size 2 terrain... then a size 3 unit can see you, even if you are right behind it. Not my cup of tea.

I got to play my army how it was intended to be played this game, sat in a corner with all of my rapid units able to lend support where i needed it. Black Templar are the weekest army in 40k in my opinion. They are very 2 dimensional, I was able to kite the units I couldn't deal wtih around the board with my landspeeders... taking them out of the game completely.

The rest I kited into fire lanes and just picked apart. I ended up losing combat squad of devs (5 men) and a handful of troops.

I ended up in 9th of 26. So not too bad, the competition here is definitely good, all of the top 6 were GT players (only one NidZilla Smile). My next tournament will be on the 16th.

The first change will be dropping the libby for another tornado. After that I may drop the terminators for some more bikes or speeders. I'm still bitter about the Blood Angels getting to take attack bikes separately. I mean, come on... we're the ravenwing!
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd   Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 12:22 pm

Now I know why no one posts batreps Rolling Eyes

Last edited by on Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd   Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 12:26 pm

I think that's pretty cool, Matt.... Don't think I'd be up for a GT anytime soon, myself Smile I STILL don't have the codexes yet... Though, I haven't played, either since the Apoc game. I'll have to remedy that once I get some more free time Smile
Back to top Go down
Steve
Initiate
Initiate
Steve

PostSubject: Re: Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd   Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 5:15 pm

I'm just jealous you got to play in a tournament, not to mention one with good competion Sad But anyways, congrads on 9th, sounds like a well fought finish.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd   Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 5:39 pm

Thanks, was especially cool to play against the Blood Angels. I should do better next time. I really have to learn to stick to the battle plan a little better. If I would have played the same way I did in the last game against Shawn it would have been a completely different game.

I could have say back to my hearts content and then jumped in his deployment on my last turn without giving him a chance to react. Probably making a tie out of a near impossible game, my devs would have still crushed his center and I wouldn't have lost much save the odd guy from LC's.... hindsight is great Smile

Perhaps I will be more disciplined on the 16th of Feb.
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd   Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 6:28 pm

Matt wrote:
Now I know why no one posts batreps Rolling Eyes

What the hell were you thinking Laughing ..sorry man

Big Name Drop there Matt... "oh, I played this odd fellow named Moomey I think it was" ..nice. Funny you fail to mention the other 2 players last names Laughing Wink I've clipped some of Shawns work before (part of my "inspiration" folder)

Played this guy?
Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd Moomey

Esc Take and Hold against Mech Eldar would be no fun as no matter what he gets will be quick to hurt. Way to toss in some soft score Wraithguard tho..

Anyways, it looks like three excellent games plus a celeb opponent. Congrats!
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd   Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 6:40 pm

Hmm the second and third last names escape me. I know the second guy is respected by moomey and had the club champ title until recently.

He also went to Baltimore and Vegas (but finding one mech Eldar player in those stats is like finding a needle in a hay stack). Not much of a painter though, beyond good table top.

Sadly I didn't get to play the Libby, just the death company present on the same page. The libby has since been replaced by Mephiston.
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd   Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 7:41 pm

I missed the Death Company. From a GT page?

I think that Grey Knight conv pic was from B&C ..dunno.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd   Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 7:44 pm

Yeah I linked it in my write up
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd   Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 10:24 am

Was that there before Embarassed

I need to stay off the DayQuil

I thought I nabbed those off of Heresy or Bolter&Chainsword Laughing
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd   Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 12:22 pm

Quote :
Was that there before

I am afraid so my friend.

Very nice miniatures though. The only thing unpainted in his whole army was Meph... he had only recently switched from the librarian to him, so he was still feeling him out.

Natural T5 in 40k is very nice. Meph is just nasty even if a bit costly.
Back to top Go down
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd   Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd EmptyThu Feb 07, 2008 3:51 pm

What you need to do aganist meph is pump him full of ap 2 or 1 shots(yes costly) or power weopens(have to hit if he goes full powers and you happen to fail your morale....which I have never had happen for me) that is his only weakness since he doesnt get a normal save so no feel no pain and he has no invernable save either
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd   Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd EmptyThu Feb 07, 2008 4:27 pm

Not so easy to do when you are playing a guy who has ranked 5th in a national tournament Smile

Next time I'll be sure to tell my opponent "please separate Meph from the rest of your army so that I can hit him with str 4 power weapon attacks and hope to wound him before he ripes my head off".

He might just agree seeing as it would cost me an army and a leg to throw enough hits at him to kill him.

In other words, I think i will stick to staying away from him and killing other parts of the army that count as scoring etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd   Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd Empty

Back to top Go down

Fire and Sword Tournament Sat Feb 2nd
Page 1 of 1