CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

13th Company revamp?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

13th Company revamp? Empty
PostSubject: 13th Company revamp?   13th Company revamp? EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 11:13 am

So most of you have played or seen my current list, which is mainly foot-slogging infantry. The are nails in CC and will kill pretty much any unit in the game standing toe to toe with death company and even some nid units (especially if we hide in cover) But getting to CC is kinda tough as everyone knows to avoid me as my slow units crawl across the board. Even so I often manage to fight to a draw. I got to thinking though about what I could do to become a more mobile force, so here goes. I would keep the long fangs and fenrisian wolves as is but get rid of all the other units. I would replace them with two units of wulfen
12 Wulfen w/ wolf priest attached

8 Wulfen alone.
The wolf priest can control the large squad, but the 8 man squad has to chase the nearest unit, so I'd have to make sure to deploy them correctly where they can't get led around the board by an empty rhino.
Next I would have 2 squads of storm claw bikers
4 bikers 2 w/ PF
Sargeant with MotW and PF, runic charm

While this is a lot of PF death, they don't have many ablative wounds, so each unit would be led by one of the ICs to lay in some I5 power weapon attacks, hopefully allowing the fists to survive.

This list would have 48 models (down from 50) with 6 scoring units (although the puppies never survive to the end of the game) but has much more mobility because every unit that isn't a long fang is either on a bike or has fleet. Now this only caveat is that I would have to have my opponent alloy me to play wulfen as they are in the apoc datafax where they have rending, cause otherwise they just aren't useful enough.

Another option removes the wulfen (and MotW on the wolf lord) and puts in 2 8 man grey slayer units like I have now with either 2plas or 2melta and PF. This list will be a little slower but I wouldn't have to have my opponent agree to play essentially house rules. Also in both of these lists I have put my rune priest on a bike to give some I5 attacks to a storm claw squad. This cancels his ability to gate, not sure how big of a deal this would really be.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: 13th Company revamp?   13th Company revamp? EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 12:43 pm

I say try it out man, I would let you play the big pups as rending, they really do blow without it.

It's really not that much of a numbers decrease.

In the games I've played against you, outmaneuvering you has been key. Allowing me to pick you off piecemeal with minimum loss of life on my side of the table.
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com
Steve
Initiate
Initiate
Steve

PostSubject: Re: 13th Company revamp?   13th Company revamp? EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 6:35 pm

Can your Wolf Priest really only control one squad of Wulfen? I thought they had a bubble or something.

I think the list with Wulfen is better, if they have rending. If they dont then defiantley the Grey Slayers. Are you paying anytype of points increase for rending? Thats the only complaint I could have about them having rending.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: 13th Company revamp?   13th Company revamp? EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 7:25 pm

You could divide the cost of the datasheet by the minimum number of men for the unit on the datasheet, and thus work out how much the upgrade would be.

Although, I think they will get this anyway when they update that book, with barely any points increase if any at all.
Back to top Go down
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

PostSubject: Re: 13th Company revamp?   13th Company revamp? EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 9:31 pm

using the points from the datasheet where the they have rending they come to 24 pts a piece, which is the same cost as in the EoT codex where they don't have rending. In the datasheet Sternhammer can control all the packs until they die, but in the normal codex it is only the pack to which the wolf priest has joined, so I figured I'd go that way, picking up rending is enough in my opinion.
The only other problem with this list is that it requires me to not use most of my current models and buy 13 bikes and 20 wulfen which at list is like $250.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: 13th Company revamp?   13th Company revamp? EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 10:23 pm

Yeesh, and for something non-tournament legal right now (well rending on wolfen anyway).

Also, as an aside... even if we did a CaG tournament, we'd have to limit them to their codex version. Otherwise all sorts of arguments could start. I think you realize the rending thing will be for friendlies only until they revamp the codex anyway.

That does seem costly, ever thought about looking into converting them?
Back to top Go down
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

PostSubject: Re: 13th Company revamp?   13th Company revamp? EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 11:29 pm

I have thought about converting them, but I know I can't do it from scratch. I'll still have to find bits that will get me most of the way there, and their heads are rather unique. The other thing is that there is only so much I can convert to make bikes, at some point I need real parts, although if I did this I would also plan on chopping out the forks to make the bikes much more awesome.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: 13th Company revamp?   13th Company revamp? EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 12:24 pm

I think Wulfen are totally do-able.

"true-size" a marine model in a running/hunched pose and then add hands that you pull from some other model (to look like talons) and have them with w/e weapons wulfen have. Then add green stuff to space wolf heads to look like fur growing all over.

Add all the extra bits and voila! Most of the model is parts with minimal green stuff work. Best part, it's only 18 of them and it should cost around 40-50 instead of closer to 150.
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: 13th Company revamp?   13th Company revamp? EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 1:29 pm

I'd go with a Flayed One as your base and flesh out from there.

They have a lurking pose & sport some Talons (could be toned down)

Chop up some plastic power armour and GS some fur.
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: 13th Company revamp?   13th Company revamp? EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 2:36 pm

flayed ones are way too small imo, plus they are metal so hard to work with.

They also have metal claws and not organic looking claws.

Pretty much, I think Marc woke up on the crazy side of the bed this morning then had a mug of crazy juice before eating a bowl of crazy.
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: 13th Company revamp?   13th Company revamp? EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 2:48 pm

Laughing

I didn't realize they were so small and the claws reminded me of Wolverine.

I've goofed around with GS on metal and doesn't seem too bad. Acts like a foundation. Sure, I dremelled the thing down a bit to act more like a skeleton but I figured the Necrons were skinny as is compared to the bulk of power armour.

Anyways, if indeed the Flayed Ones hunched pose are too small to work with then nevermind Embarassed
I have had little hands on with that line.
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 13th Company revamp?   13th Company revamp? Empty

Back to top Go down

13th Company revamp?
Page 1 of 1