A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed   Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 12:49 pm

hmmm some nice ideas though differs on the set up on the cities/options for armies, and yea it never seems to show up how it looks when we type up stuff oh well
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed   Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 12:59 pm

The campaign that I was in has a lot more strategy outside the battles and starts off a little slow but it is tailored so that noone can be a absolute power house unless they win everything... Has some elements of Settlers/Civilization/Mighty Empires. Some harder thinking will be needed on teh first couple of turns and you really need to plan for the future.
On the first turn everyone starts with either 2000 or 3000gp. Which is enough to buy most of the buildings for the capital with a village or town with a building and a 500-1000 point force.
Notice the entire army cannot get bigger than the realm can support.
Supplies are paid through gp for banner movement and upkeep.

We have introduced a resource aspect (Wood, Stone, Food, Iron, Clay) to it but wasn't sure if anyone would be up to it, more work for the GM but thats why I enjoyed GMing these things. It also required people to trade more. I am kinda stoked about running a campaign and perhaps closer to summer I will have a full list of rules and campaign ideas.

I will be play testing for at least a month before I unleash the campaign.

New times calls for new Records:
Orcs & goblins (3-1-2)
Empire (0-0-0)
6th Edition
Orks (0-0)
Marines (3-1)
Imperial Guard (0-0)
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/makarithraka
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed   Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 1:03 pm

I like the idea of a tradeing aspect in the game, but the problem I see is it can to easily to used to make the sides tradeing more powerful than the ones who dont have anything to trade
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed   Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 4:41 pm

Trading was an issue in play testing early on, however we combated that by evening out the resources for everyone, then based on the region adjust slightly.
Ex. Dwarves are in mountains, the mountains will produce a 25%increase in Iron, and or stone. But will get a penalty for producing wood and food type stuff. So everyone gets resources but no one gets too hosed. And there will be an NPC Merchant as well but cost is a little higher…
Tiles will also offer some resource and will offer a new set of buildings to build. By the way we also tinkered with the idea of winning by a different route kind of like in Civilization through resources, but not very likely to bloom anytime soon. Oh and the Dogs of war will be revisited for this campaign as well!

Orcs & goblins (3-1-2)
Empire (0-0-0)
6th Edition
Orks (0-0)
Marines (3-1)
Imperial Guard (0-0)
Back to top Go down
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed   Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 7:59 pm

sounds like an interesting idea, I would play even if Bruce's campaign is still going when you have it ready. I will admit that not working or going to school gives me enough free time to participate in both where most may not be able to.
Back to top Go down
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant
Evil Bob

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed   Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 20, 2008 12:22 pm

Full fledged economies are an interesting option. I have never heard of it being pulled off but with some super-die-hard players such a campaign could work.

In general campaigns die off because of timing issues but another big one is if someone is only getting beaten up having also to do an economic accounting can easily push them away.

For myself it sounds interesting and would give it a whirl depending on location and timing issue.
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed   Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 20, 2008 12:40 pm

The timing and location is easier to overcome in a campaign like this, the complications are more for the GM, It will take real dedication and a lot of attention to detail and some communication with the players.
Most of the turn will be done via email. Each player will get an Excel spreadsheet with their info on it, and it will be updated and sent to the character for each turn. If/When a battle takes place to 2 or more players will have a predetermined time to play said game (Extinuating circumsatnces will be forgiven) or a surrender takes place for the battle, which is not as harsh as it sounds but not good either.
The super duper neato thing that was different from every other campaign I have ever heard is you can make a special character, from the RPG and import somewhat to the game, there will also be oppurtuniites to run that character thru Warhammer quest, which is how you can get Special Magic Weapons and or items for that character. Also if you are unable to take care of running through the quest during the time frame given it will be run automatically for you if you want to do it... not always good cause your character can die... Sad as I lost 3 in th elast one I played, but that was a big ass fluke.

Orcs & goblins (3-1-2)
Empire (0-0-0)
6th Edition
Orks (0-0)
Marines (3-1)
Imperial Guard (0-0)
Back to top Go down
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed   Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 1:49 pm

Ok so thanks to crobars, campaign rules I had a few idea's, the 1st one is a trade caravan: you buy one at 100 points plus whatever you give it in way of defence, in other words if you give it 500 points of defenders then it would cost you 600 points(no lords may travel with a caravan, and only 1 hero per 1000 points may be with the caravan to represent leaders), when it reaches the target city(another players) that player rolls 2 d6 and times the result by 100 to see how many points (each player? or only one?) gets, the carvan then turns around and heads back to the city it was sent from(or another city near the edge of the orginal players territory).

So the 2nd option will be diplomacy, which is shown in a alliance and a none argeesion pact, in a alliance you armies may enter each others cities and defend them(but may not attack each other) in a none agression pact only caravans may enter a city but troops may move in empty hexs(none city). A none agreesion may be cancled at any time a allaince may be cancled only when neither side has armies in the oppsiote players side(player 1 cant have armies in player 2s and the opposite) if a player wish to cancel one with when the other playes army is in the territory they may ask the other players armies to leave, in which case the player has 2 choices, they can either head back to their own terrtory or go into someone else but must leave that players terriotory(you do not have to cancel the treaty after asking this that is still that player choce) you may ask the armies to leave at the beginning of any turn(before rolling for order of turns but after buying armies)
Back to top Go down
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed   Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 3:09 pm

Ok I think we have most of the basic ideas made up, so the here is my question do we try to start as soon as we can or hold off till more people can get a bigger army together? If we are starting soon we need to find a day were we can kick this thing off, also we need to set teams but we can do that on the kick off day
Back to top Go down
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed   Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 23, 2008 3:42 am

I am pretty open, so just let me know the where and when that best fits the majority.
Back to top Go down
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant
Evil Bob

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed   Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 23, 2008 6:26 pm

FrostWolf wrote:
Ok I think we have most of the basic ideas made up, so the here is my question do we try to start as soon as we can or hold off till more people can get a bigger army together?
With this kind of campaign bigger armies is not a good idea. In fact you might want to cap the size of battles. Otherwise we'll probably have people waiting a long while for the next turn.

Keeping battles on 4x4 foot tables does wonders for getting games over faster.

As for a start time I'm good with enough forewarning to schedule.
Back to top Go down
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed   Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 23, 2008 6:31 pm

ok so Been thinking on that and was wondering about a cap of 3k per army, this still allows people to have a large army in some caes but prevents overpowering armies
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed   Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 23, 2008 7:51 pm

If you put a cap on things then the goal seems less apealling. Instead if you stunt the growth thru limiting the amount that the army can be based on what the person owns in settlements then it becomes a bit more pleasurable sense of accomplishment when you do get a large army built.
Your best bet is to limit the size of a banner, instead of the army, by what the tile or area can allow for subsistance.
I would still be interested in hearing how the campaign goes for you guys.
If it gets moved from Saturdays then you can count me in.

Orcs & goblins (3-1-2)
Empire (0-0-0)
6th Edition
Orks (0-0)
Marines (3-1)
Imperial Guard (0-0)
Back to top Go down
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed   Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 23, 2008 7:53 pm

now Im lost I thought we were doing more of the open campaign idea we had of setting battles and then fighting some time that week Im so lost now
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed   Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 23, 2008 7:56 pm

Just ignore me... Just posting ideas... I'm not affilated with the person/s running this campaign just offering my thoughts.

Orcs & goblins (3-1-2)
Empire (0-0-0)
6th Edition
Orks (0-0)
Marines (3-1)
Imperial Guard (0-0)
Back to top Go down
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed   Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 23, 2008 8:06 pm

I think Im the one who is supposed to be running it....so no I wont ignore you, but on that note if we are going to do that we will need someone to run that part of the campaign.......Id be terrabile at it myself
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed   Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 23, 2008 10:34 pm

Any descent GM should be able to handle the mechanics... If you wanna talk about my assisting or running PM me!
or you can text/call 513-218-3463 after 5 on weekdays for a call, or anytime for a text...

Orcs & goblins (3-1-2)
Empire (0-0-0)
6th Edition
Orks (0-0)
Marines (3-1)
Imperial Guard (0-0)
Back to top Go down
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant
Evil Bob

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed   Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 5:43 pm

makari wrote:
If you put a cap on things then the goal seems less apealling. Instead if you stunt the growth thru limiting the amount that the army can be based on what the person owns in settlements then it becomes a bit more pleasurable sense of accomplishment when you do get a large army built.
Trust me, sitting around for over two hours to get another move in is many times worse.
makari wrote:
Your best bet is to limit the size of a banner, instead of the army, by what the tile or area can allow for subsistance.
My bad that is what I meant. Limit the battle. To be honest I have not idea how quickly each detachment will grown. In this case may not be an issue.
makari wrote:
I would still be interested in hearing how the campaign goes for you guys.
If it gets moved from Saturdays then you can count me in.
My impression is that getting in one big start day is just impossible. Too many many timing conflicts.

So FrostWolf are we giving up on one big start day?

I am still willing to go to Hobbytown to play. The conditions will have to be serious. For instance late game turns where the full might of my collection is needed.

How are we dividing teams, two, three people? I was thinking at least three so that if two of the players bottom out at least in theory there is one left. On that matter if someone else drops (from a team) would the other players get his points and such?
Back to top Go down
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed   Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 5:47 pm

The teams and that stuff I thought we would set based off who showed up on the big kickoff day(still hopeing for that) and yea I droped the big 1 day per week campaign thing a bit ago
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed   Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 6:21 pm

If a GM is used a 2 hour wait is not needed. the non battle turns are done with the GM individually (In person, phone, text, email) and updated and sent back to all relevent persons.
The online map thing is looking grim from what we used just can't find it...
the one day big bang would be fun just see who can show up and discuss questions and concernes. And of course make the first couple of turns.

Orcs & goblins (3-1-2)
Empire (0-0-0)
6th Edition
Orks (0-0)
Marines (3-1)
Imperial Guard (0-0)
Back to top Go down
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed   Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 6:29 pm

If we have a website what we could do is update the map based off hex numbers(each person have copy of the map with a # for each hex matching a larger map if we use a larger one)that way all we would have to do is list each time what army moved to what hex and what army is fighting what other army for what hex and such instead of requireing a whole lot of work on the GMs part to update a map all they have to do is keep a list of were each army is and update it at the end of each turn, which could be a lot of work but would I think make it easier on everyone
Back to top Go down
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant
Evil Bob

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed   Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 6:46 pm

makari wrote:
If a GM is used a 2 hour wait is not needed. the non battle turns are done with the GM individually (In person, phone, text, email) and updated and sent back to all relevent persons.
Reguardless someone is going to have to handle the major information crunching.

The wait has to do with players getting big games done when a group is waiting for the next turn. No GM can kill that wait.
makari wrote:
The online map thing is looking grim from what we used just can't find it...
I can handle an online map or website. With my earhtlink account they give me 8 email addresses with 10mb of web-space for each. FTP is easy. Also a very old copy of photoshop.

Online maps are easy. Digital art or digital pic are not an issue. If I email a "GM" my move in advance then he emails me everyone else's the moves are protected.

Not sure how the GM can equally plan moves and get them from other players.
makari wrote:
the one day big bang would be fun just see who can show up and discuss questions and concernes. And of course make the first couple of turns.
That would be nice, but when? That question has been floating for awhile and getting nowhere. A weekday (or any day) will only work if people can show up early like noon. We have people who can only play weekend and others on weekdays making it utterly impossible for a single day.

Also I am concerned about battles where one person says he can go to ACME and another Scifi City, what then? That is the one big downside of each banner being an exact list.
Back to top Go down
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed   Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 6:57 pm

then it becomes up to the GM to handle that part I suppose, also on the day it would almost have to on a holiday were almost everyone gets off(when is the next one anyways)
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed   Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 7:48 pm

Ok so under my system each "year" consists of 3 turns.
Each turn gives an oppurtunity to make certain moves or actions.
Each player who has actions can declare those actions to the GM via communications listed earlier. If an instance occurs where a battle will take place the GM will inform said players of action needed...
The players in question will arrrange a time and place to play and inform GM of progress from the battle.
The GM will maintain everyones list which will inturn be sent to each player, in excel worksheet which is my preferred method...
Yes the GM has some work to do...
So my motto is never ask someone to do something you would not otherwise do yourself...
I love crunching these things...
A campaign, even a simple one, is hard to manage and set up.
I have found in the numerous campaigns I have run or played in, the less work the players have to do the more successful the campaign.
My campaign offers just that. The players don't need to learn the rules as much but merely convey what they want to happen and the GM will git er dun...
And as far as the kick off day... Don't pick a day, pick a date. Couple weeks in advance, so arrangements can be made...

Orcs & goblins (3-1-2)
Empire (0-0-0)
6th Edition
Orks (0-0)
Marines (3-1)
Imperial Guard (0-0)
Back to top Go down
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed   Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 8:17 pm

A date would be a kick off day just calling it something else
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed   Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fantasy campaign- Rules posted- start date needed
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next