CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3 Empty
PostSubject: Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3   Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 9:46 am

No pics to start but a little description.

I've fully assembled the model. Gap fill, sand, prime and start the paint is slated for tonight.

I used the claw option vs the sword however for WYSIWYG the game mechanics are identical for either CCW. (I think)

The model uses the old Defiler sprues for the base and then adds the Souldgrinder stuff to the top.

Man...what a difference. Having assembled a a WFB Giant and the new corpse cart it was very evident the differences in the the new vs. old plastics from assemby standpoint.

The pieces just don't fit as well. Lots of rubber bands to hold it together and gap filling will be needed in a few places w/ Milliput.

I'm glad the focal point will be the face and upper body of the figure.

I'm torn between 2 color schemes.

Either a truer flesh color w/ some purple shading (kinda a Univeral Chaos Deamon) or go with a Soul Grinder who was previously a deamon of Nurgle. Olive greens shaded w/ putrecent reds and browns. Adding a lot of rust and other elements to the mechanical portions.

I'd love any opinions.

Purple flesh example - but a tad more fleshy then this.

Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3 Bl_1_front

Last edited by jgemrich on Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:00 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3   Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 11:02 am

I think your style is more apt for the greens/reds/browns of Nurgle.
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

PostSubject: Re: Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3   Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 4:14 pm

I agree, go with the Nurgle scheme.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3   Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 8:41 am

OK so after connecting the top/bottom, Filling, sanding and priming I was able to get a base coat on of an appropriate Nurglish Green (VMC yellow/Green) and Drybrush Tin Bitz over the metal. The metal will be nothing fancy but I need to find a way to jazz up some portions. I guess the standard way would be to paint some color in the Leg armor. Maybe.

Overall I'm not too keen on the color combo right now. I'm going to finish the metal first then move on to the flesh.

The other issue is the figure itself isn't too nurgly.

The fluff being that high ranking daemons of all factions dedicate themselves to the forge of souls and get turned into this "soul Grinder" which can stand in the mortal world for decades and centuries.

The soul grinder slowly takes on the characteristics of the Daemon which was fused with it.

So I think to go Nurgle I may need to convert some stuff. Pustules to the skin and maybe some intestines...etc in the belly region. Or I may just switch colors to the more chaos neutral scheme I was pondering.

Comments welcome. Total paint time 30 Min. (yes I will be removing the giganticly visible mold lines from the mechanical claw What a Face )

Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3 284386436_Xwru7-O
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3   Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 9:55 am

Very nice so far Smile My idea for the highlights on the metal: use bronze or brazen brass as the edges. Don't know if you'll like it, but every time I've done Chaos, I've done that combination (tin bitz and brazen brass highlights).... But, again, very good so far!
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3   Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 11:09 am

Looking good, so John... you thinking you are going to go the 40k route with your demon army? Or magnetize etc like I was saying?
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3   Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 11:15 am

Matt wrote:
Looking good, so John... you thinking you are going to go the 40k route with your demon army? Or magnetize etc like I was saying?

I'm going to sell most of it. So...I'd like the option to put on either base. Most likely I will pin the feet then have the option to glue to the base that is requested by the buyer.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3   Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 11:30 am

Gah! Sell out!

Good plan though, might be a nice price booster to have them standing on magnet strips that fit in the base though. Plus then you can tell me if that even works well Wink
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3   Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3 EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 7:22 am

OK another 2.5 hours of work. Took the metal up a Drybrush of gunmetal and some Chainmail highlights.

I then weathered w/ red/black (VMC) and Parasite Brown, plague brown and a little Yellow/green (VMC) and black.

Then it was onto the bone/teeth - This was done in layers, Burnt Umber (VMC), Earth (GW/VGC), Khaki (privateer press), pale sand (VMC).

Last I moved up to the skin - specifically the face. Over the base of Yellow/green (VMC) was Ghoul skin (RMS) moldy flesh (RMS). The skin was then shaded w/ Red/Black VMC and Gory Red(VGC/GW). Final highlights were done w/ Bloodless flesh (RMS).

I'm liking how it is turning out. Some deeper more thorough shadding could be added to smooth transistion and another highlight on the metal but since this is for sale it probably won't see that kind of love.

Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3 284802359_vCDE4-O

Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3 284802363_i3aMz-O
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

PostSubject: Re: Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3   Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3 EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 11:03 am

That thing is freaking me out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3   Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3 EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 11:01 am

3rd update. About an hour left to finish the right arm and claw on this fella.

Just more of the same for painting and shading.
Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3 285263623_rZcv5-O
Back to top Go down
Hacksaw
Neophyte
Hacksaw

PostSubject: Re: Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3   Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3 EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 11:54 am

at first I really wasn't liking the skin tone, but as it progresses I'm liking it more and more. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3   Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3
Page 1 of 1