CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics.

Go down 
+6
LOXMYTHIC
Bojesphob
Warmonger
JTPitt
methoderik
wittdooley
10 posters
AuthorMessage

Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. Empty
PostSubject: Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics.   Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. EmptySun May 09, 2010 6:36 pm

If you've been over to my place to play chances are you've had an opportunity to throw down on my 1/2 painted CoD terrain. I've gone ahead and "finished" the painting w/ an airbrush and some weathering powders. Originally I intended to pick out more details but the truth is I'd never get around to it.

Recipe.
Tamiya Spray paint: RAF blue
Dry brush codex grey
Dry brush Astronomicon grey.
Air brush Vallejo Medium grey on panels to make them stand out
Air brush GW/VGC: parasite brown
Airbrush Vallejo Aircolor black brown to "blend" the rust spots a bit

Add weathering powder (Standard Rust from MiG) to some of the rust areas, especially tips of things

Seal w/ Future floor wax

Apply some oils, burnt sienna and lamp black. If I had more time, I'd line everything w/ lamp black. It really makes some panels stand out. Like Badab black but better and more workable.

There are 4 buildings

2 small and 2 larger. Built from a variety of the CoD sets and the Shrine of the Aquilar. Rubble piles are strickly built up w/ broken sprues. The Tile work inside some of the buildings is wallpaper from Lowes.

BUILDING 1
Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. 861825371_3VpRr-O
Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. 861825314_qxMdS-O
Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. 861825268_7MC95-O

BUILDING 2
Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. 861825112_rETf6-O
Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. 861825237_pYSdS-O
Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. 861825159_9ac4U-O
Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. 861825070_JqGMd-O

Building 3
Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. 861824915_88Uk7-O
Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. 861825004_jsALG-O
Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. 861824942_iy4cy-O

Building 4 (tried dot filtering here. Not great results)
Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. 861824768_WV5NC-O
Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. 861824828_UUanR-O
Back to top Go down
wittdooley
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
wittdooley

PostSubject: Re: Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics.   Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. EmptySun May 09, 2010 7:47 pm

John-

Mind trying to explain what dot filtering is?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics.   Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. EmptySun May 09, 2010 8:14 pm

You can find it here. I saw it originally in a Fine Scale Modeler book. It is an oil technique to show kinda a dust build up that has streaked in rain. I wish I could build up the rust like this. I just can't seem to get the "crusty"effect I'd like too.

I don't really think it works on the CoD stuff by/c it really isn't very "flat" on some surfaces.

http://akaranseth.over-blog.com/pages/step-by-step-on-a-k-o-malcador-tank-in-the-ruins-of-vraks-1873528.html
Back to top Go down
wittdooley
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
wittdooley

PostSubject: Re: Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics.   Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. EmptySun May 09, 2010 10:49 pm

You know what. You showed me this once. I just didn't realize the name.

Read through the entire thing again. God, I love that tutorial so much.
Back to top Go down
methoderik
Neophyte
methoderik

PostSubject: Re: Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics.   Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. EmptyMon May 10, 2010 9:45 am

Looks great, love the bases.
Back to top Go down
JTPitt
Sergeant
Sergeant
JTPitt

PostSubject: Re: Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics.   Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. EmptyMon May 10, 2010 10:06 am

It looks ok just not impressed with it as I usually am. It seems to be lacking a whole lot of character to it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics.   Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. EmptyMon May 10, 2010 11:17 am

The pics are a little washed out. Other then that Jon, what would you suggest or like to see finished on them.
Back to top Go down
JTPitt
Sergeant
Sergeant
JTPitt

PostSubject: Re: Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics.   Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. EmptyMon May 10, 2010 11:21 am

It seems to lack detail and nothing stand out about and what I would assume to be rust looks more like a splash on not nearly the level of work that I have come to see from you even on just table top ready pieces.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics.   Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. EmptyWed May 12, 2010 8:55 am

Just want to make sure that everyone here understand that when I post pictures of mini/terrain or whatever... they are open to comment, critique and criticism BY ALL.

You don't have to be an expert painter to state your opinion on what you like or don't like about something.

We never grow as hobbyists if we aren't challenged to break out of routine, try something new, or have honest critique of our efforts.

So never sit back and say...well, I can't do that so Im not gonna say anything. If a picture is posted. Put out some love and some well formed criticism that points out what you think could be improved or where you think the artist/hobbyist succeeded.

It is good for our community and good for our growth.

Regards,
John
Back to top Go down
Warmonger
Initiate
Initiate
Warmonger

PostSubject: Re: Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics.   Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. EmptyWed May 12, 2010 9:16 am

Quote :
It seems to lack detail and nothing stand out

I have to agree, maybe a liberal wash of Delvian Mud or something similiar to help define and add some depth? I've never tried the powders, how are they to work with?
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics.   Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. EmptyWed May 12, 2010 9:25 am

John, I'll parrot Jon's critique, it seems a little... underwhelming for your work.

The impression I got when I first saw them was that you took and weathered the bare plastic.... Now, after looking at it a bit, I can now tell that it's a lighter gray than that, but that was the first thing I thought. Not that they look bad, just not very detailed...

I would say a wash (like Warmonger said, though I think Badab Black on grey looks better, but that's my own personal opinion), and a highlight drybrush with a mix of white and the gray? Maybe even pick out some of the wiring/consoles/skulls with a metallic color to make it look like they are metal?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics.   Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. EmptyWed May 12, 2010 11:05 am

I also will be trying a rust technique which is putting down some Cyanoacrylate (Superglue) and sprinkling bakind soda over the top to give it a bit of texture in spots.

The powders are interesting to use. They can be used in a lot of different ways and I'm still doing some experimentation. In the end, not sure how good they are with table top models that get handles alot. The powders need to be sealed down which diminishes their appearance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics.   Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. EmptyWed May 12, 2010 11:16 am

The pics are pretty washed. They are actually a blue/grey base worked up w/ a mist of medium grey over the top after drybrushing.

If I wash, it'll probably be an oil based lamp black which yields a more controlled result then badab on large areas.

I may pick out some metal parts but might go w/ a graphite as well. Thanks
Back to top Go down
JTPitt
Sergeant
Sergeant
JTPitt

PostSubject: Re: Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics.   Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. EmptyWed May 12, 2010 1:36 pm

While each model is open for interpretation for what colors could work on it I think adding in the metal rivets and the hitting up the doors and some of window trimmings with metal will change the overall look of the model and take it from the lacking feeling it has now to a out standing piece that would be fun to play with. That will also give more credit to the rust that you are trying to add to the building.
Back to top Go down
LOXMYTHIC
Neophyte
LOXMYTHIC

PostSubject: Re: Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics.   Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. EmptyFri May 14, 2010 3:04 pm

Sometimes I think the bleaker the terrain the more it shows off the figs.
Back to top Go down
LOXMYTHIC
Neophyte
LOXMYTHIC

PostSubject: Re: Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics.   Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. EmptyFri May 14, 2010 3:10 pm

I hope "bleaker" is an actual word.
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics.   Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. EmptyFri May 14, 2010 4:12 pm

Love it..

Hawter than anything I own..

Can't wait to throw down for some more basement wars..
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
archite666
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics.   Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. EmptyFri May 14, 2010 5:22 pm

LOXMYTH wrote:
"bleaker"
Sounds like something you used to be able to get on sycamore street for 20$
Back to top Go down
LOXMYTHIC
Neophyte
LOXMYTHIC

PostSubject: Re: Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics.   Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. EmptyFri May 14, 2010 5:47 pm

I always carry an extra napkin in the truck for that very reason
Back to top Go down
Lord of Change
Neophyte
Lord of Change

PostSubject: Re: Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics.   Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. EmptyTue May 18, 2010 8:19 pm

I like it, but I think it needs more lived in features. Burn marks, claw rents in the stone work, dried blood, more strewn rubble, and discarded ruined munitions. More work I know, but really adds that something special.

I'm thinking of taking a space marine's arms, head, and legs and replacing the middle with white glue or something for that nice I took a melta-gun to the chest look. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics.   Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. EmptyTue May 18, 2010 8:58 pm

While i think the weathering looks really good, you mentioned mixed results... You could look at using Gouache.

http://thepaintingcorps.blogspot.com/2010/03/friday-quick-tip-weathering-with.html

Looks good though, pay a monkey to pick out a few details and i think the peanut gallery will calm down a tad.
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics.   Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics. Empty

Back to top Go down

Cities of Death Terrain ... Lots of pics.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Painting, Conversions and Tutorials :: Gallery-
Jump to: