CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Eldar suggestions

Go down 
+2
Matt
Keith
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Keith
Sergeant
Sergeant
Keith

Eldar suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Eldar suggestions   Eldar suggestions EmptyTue Dec 04, 2007 12:22 am

Anyone have any sugestions on an Eldar army build??
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

Eldar suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eldar suggestions   Eldar suggestions EmptyTue Dec 04, 2007 2:26 pm

Well, competitive Eldar at this point in time consist of as many holo-fielded vehicles as you can fit.

...but that's no fun.

Almost anything in the book is viable though, the best bet would be to proxy a few games of what you think fits and then come up with a list for us to look at.
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com
Scav
Initiate
Initiate
Scav

Eldar suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eldar suggestions   Eldar suggestions EmptyTue Dec 04, 2007 3:40 pm

there are units to stay away from...

guardians - never do it.. go with dire avengers
warlocks - eeeeeh no. they just don't have the punch. too expensive for the stat line
striking scorpions - some love em, but without power weapons and a toughness 3 they can slice through large crowds, but can't touch anything decent.
ranger - ALWAYS upgrade to pathfinder
wraithguard - points heavy.. fire dragons do the same job.

many options allow for an amazing number of different combo possibilities... everyone must support one another. thats the number one. you must build an army of support. never get too spread out.

make a list and i will see what i can do.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

Eldar suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eldar suggestions   Eldar suggestions EmptyTue Dec 04, 2007 8:03 pm

I don't think guardians are a no no. They do have the weapons platform, which is pretty survivable behind a decent bit of cover. All comes out relatively cheap too.

I agree with the other ones though, although I think you can leave rangers without the upgrade if you don't want to spend a ton of points on the unit. They are still better than all other sniper units in the game, and cost about the same as other armies sniper choices.
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com
Scav
Initiate
Initiate
Scav

Eldar suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eldar suggestions   Eldar suggestions EmptyTue Dec 04, 2007 11:12 pm

yeah matt i agree they aren't horrible choices... nothing is too terrible in the eldar army.. however they arent extremely competitive. you will always have fun with guardians though. list list! i want a list!
Back to top Go down
Keith
Sergeant
Sergeant
Keith

Eldar suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eldar suggestions   Eldar suggestions EmptyWed Jan 09, 2008 6:43 pm

So as it stands:

6 Fire dragons
10 howling banshees
5 Dire avengers
1 wave serpent
1 falcon
5 dark reapers
1 wraithlord
10 guardians w 1 warlock
Eldrad

What do you guys think
Back to top Go down
Scav
Initiate
Initiate
Scav

Eldar suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eldar suggestions   Eldar suggestions EmptyWed Jan 09, 2008 6:46 pm

not bad! those guardians and platform with a wraithlord will provide a nice base for firepower while your skimmers fly around and deal with whatever needs to be dealt with.

finish out that avenger squad so that you can stick them in the serpent. Eldrad can be an overkill.. so when you build a list try and use him as a counts as farseer so you dont have to buy one.

otherwise.. great!
Back to top Go down
Keith
Sergeant
Sergeant
Keith

Eldar suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eldar suggestions   Eldar suggestions EmptyWed Jan 09, 2008 7:15 pm

Yea I was going to use Eldrad as a farseer, I do however have a farsee besides him if need be. I just didnt plan on using it in this list
Back to top Go down
dan
Initiate
Initiate
dan

Eldar suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eldar suggestions   Eldar suggestions EmptyThu Jan 10, 2008 10:04 am

yeah Eldrad is nasty defineatly take him pathfinders (upgraded rangers) are a personal favorate of mine put them in some cover with some open terrain between them and the enemy and its gross.
Back to top Go down
CaptainHonkey
Neophyte
CaptainHonkey

Eldar suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eldar suggestions   Eldar suggestions EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 1:29 am

you wanna run a deadly Eldar army. Run a Wave Serpent army with a few squads of Dire Avengers mounted in the serpents with a squad of Howling Banshees or Fire Dragons in one of them and make sure each squad has 10 members in it with an Exarch. And stick a Farseer and Eldrad with they for lot of support. Here's my 1850 list as an example

Eldrad Ulthran #1 210pts

Farseer #1 150pts
-Spirit Stones (20pts)
-Runes of Witnessing (10pts)
-Mind War (20pts)
-Doom (25pts)
-Guide (20pts)

x3 Dire Avengers #10 297pts
-Exarch (12pts)
-Extra Catapult (5pts)
-Bladestorm (15pts)
w/ Wave Serpent (90pts)
-Spirit Stones (10pts)
-Twin Linked Bright Lance (45pts)

Howling Banshees #10 332pts
-Exarch (12pts)
-Mirrorswords (10pts)
-War Shout (5pts)
w/ Wave Serpent (90pts)
-Spirit Stones (10pts)
-Twin Linked Bright Lance (45pts)

Harlequin Troupe #10 266pts
-x9 Harlequin's Kiss (36pts)
-Troupe Master w/Power Weapon (20pts)
-Shadowseer (30pts)

1849 Total

This list has won me 4 RTTs
Back to top Go down
Ghazkhull
Neophyte

Eldar suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eldar suggestions   Eldar suggestions EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 6:03 pm

Scav wrote:
guardians - never do it.. go with dire avengers
warlocks - eeeeeh no. they just don't have the punch. too expensive for the stat line.
I whole-heartedly disagree with teh Guardian assessment:

Guardians:
1) Squad size of 10-20 + a Warlock that can give them a str5 ap4 Flamer, + to Initiative and WS, re-roll to fialed LD, or a 5+ cover save.
2) Assault 2 str4 gun. Only 12" but ALWAYS 2 shots at Str4.
3) Move and shoot heavy frikkin weapon with a RETARDED amount of incredible guns. You want pinning? Str8? Str4 blast? How about 4 str6 shots? Perhaps a str8 that reduces high armor? No? Ok. We'll offer you a three shot, Str6, ap3 gun. How's that? Ok then, you drive a hard bargain... ANOTHER Str6 gun with 3 shots and ap5.
4) Option for 10-20 meelee Guardians with two flamers or fusion guns +Warlock with another Flamer @str5 ap4 (for those playing at home, that's a possible THREE flamers in one squad), + to Initiative and WS, re-roll to any failed LD, or a 5+ cover save.
5) Base 5+ save

I'm with you on the Warlock, albeit for a different reason. I still think they are good, but there's no need for Conceal anymore with so much cover saving these days. That was a staple of my 4th edition army; Concealock with 15 Guardians. In a Storm squad though, a Warlock is just short of mandatory for the WS and I buffs or the flamer power.

Personally, I LOVE Guardians. I don't leave home without them. I take less than I use to, but I still find room in my lists.

Matt wrote:
They are still better than all other sniper units in the game, and cost about the same as other armies sniper choices.

Better, yes. Hands down. Cost about the same? Not even close. Ratlings cost 10 pts. apiece. For an IG Veteran squad, you can buy 3 @ 5pts. each. That makes the Veterans 12 pts. each. Space Marine Scout snipers cost 13 pts.

Rangers are 19 pts. each. Point-wise, no upgrades, Eldar Rangers are considerably more expensive.

Hoever, if you start adding upgrades to other snipers to even them out as far as skills are concerned, 5 Scouts with Chameleoline Cloaks brings 5 to 90 pts. where Rangers are 95 pts. for 5.

Rangers are a good deal more expensive, but you really do get what you pay for. In spades.

Ghazkhull
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Eldar suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eldar suggestions   Eldar suggestions Empty

Back to top Go down

Eldar suggestions
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Warhammer 40k :: 40k Army Lists and Tactics-
Jump to: