CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Advice on camera?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
archite666
Initiate
Initiate

Advice on camera? Empty
PostSubject: Advice on camera?   Advice on camera? EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 6:23 pm

So looking to buy a digital camera, any advice? I want a cheap decent one.
Back to top Go down
wittdooley
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
wittdooley

Advice on camera? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice on camera?   Advice on camera? EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 7:04 pm

What is cheap and can you better define, "decent?"
Back to top Go down

Advice on camera? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice on camera?   Advice on camera? EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 9:43 pm

For camera - cheap and decent don't go hand in hand.

There is a reason cameras can cost up to and over $1000. Mostly optics.

The question is what do you want to do with your camera. That will help define its roll and what you should get.

I mean... I have a little small camera to take with me and get shots of the kids playing in the park. Small compact...travels easy.

I have another I use to do my macrophotography for my miniatures. Large lens...better optics.

You can do fine with a 4.0 MP camera to take shots of a mini. What you need is one that will allow you to control shutter speed and aperture. I could go on but better you tell us what the intended use of the camera.
Back to top Go down
archite666
Initiate
Initiate

Advice on camera? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice on camera?   Advice on camera? EmptySat Jan 03, 2009 1:50 am

Um, well just a camera I can take pics with, like nothing special, nothing crazy and can get a decent shot of a mini. Pretty much carry it around and take random pics, nothing crazy, something the wife will wont mind me buying.
Back to top Go down
altahara
Sergeant
Sergeant
altahara

Advice on camera? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice on camera?   Advice on camera? EmptySat Jan 03, 2009 6:31 am

here ya go.. decent camera.. great lens.. great price.. 120... not the BEST for minis... but it will do better than the one i use.. hehe

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9188671
Back to top Go down

Advice on camera? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice on camera?   Advice on camera? EmptySat Jan 03, 2009 9:59 am

For what you want look at some refurbished and "older" cameras with lower MP.

Here is a "cheap" option cost wise but with all features you need for taking mini photos. Since this is a 5.0MP camera but you don't need more then this. More MP doesn't give better picture quality per se. ie. A 5.0 MP camera with good optics will produce a better picture then a plastic lens of a 12.0 MP camera.

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Samsung-s630-Black-Digital-Camera-Refurbished/3239526/product.html

I'm looking at the following information on this product for taking Miniature pictures (Macro photography)

Macro: 5 cm to 80 cm (wide), 40 cm to 80 cm (tele)
Allows for short focal lengths (get close to subject)

Aperture
F No.: F2.8 to F7.1 (wide), F4.9 to F12.4 (Tele) -
I even go higher then 7.1 but this is fine for your use.

SHUTTER
# Type: mechanical and electronic shutter
# Speed(TBD): 1 to 1/1,500 sec.(Manual: 8 to 1/1,500 sec.)

Controls the time the shutter is open. As you increase the aperture number you decrease the amount of light that gets in your camera. It is necessary to have the shutter open longer to let more light in.

White balance: auto, daylight, cloudy, fluorescent, fluorescent, tungsten, custom

I'm really looking at the "custom" setting on here. Ever see mini photos that look yellow or blue? The problem is the W/B or white balance. You need to tell your camera that this is "white" light. For minis, custom W/B is best.

Essentially you hold a piece of blank white paper in front of your camera, press a button. The camera then "records" what it sees as "white". You'll get very true color representation in your photos if you do this.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Advice on camera? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice on camera?   Advice on camera? Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice on camera?
Page 1 of 1