CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fantasy question.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sexiest_hero
Initiate
Initiate

Fantasy question. Empty
PostSubject: Fantasy question.   Fantasy question. EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 7:32 am

Hey As i've been building my tomb kings army and glancing Battle reports I've noticed that Most battles seem to depend on everything but the men and women actually fighting. For example in 40k chaos lord charges 30 Conscripts, eats 3, and continues to have ball practice with their heads. In Fantasy A tomb king can "Walk like an Egyptian" all over a unit of high elves, not take a single wound, and die because they were lined up 5 pretty rows. Does he look at the pretty rows of elves, realise nobody loves him, and cries himself to death, or does he, while celebrating, rip off his own head and spike it like a football.

Now I could understand if he had lost combat to the elves. Thats how it works in 40k with no retreat. I simply don't understand how something can win in the combat and still lose in the end.
Back to top Go down
JTPitt
Sergeant
Sergeant
JTPitt

Fantasy question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy question.   Fantasy question. EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 2:36 pm

Well combat resolution works out differently in fantasy then in 40k. If you have enough people to over whelm the opponent no matter how good he is, eventually he will drop.

In your example you are talking a 25 man unit of Elves fighting 1 King. Now he might wipe 5 of them out but heres where the math comes in. The Elves have 4 ranks so they negate 4 of the 5 that died. Then they have a banner so they negate the 5th on that died. Now if they were at a draw then it would be over and the fight continues. Most however have a musician which inspires the unit and makes them fight better. So this makes them beat the king so thats how he loses and dies.

Look at it in real time now he runs in kills five guys but now there are 20 more elves on top of him hitting hacking and slashing. So they would over whelm him and kill him. That's how it happens.
Back to top Go down
Sexiest_hero
Initiate
Initiate

Fantasy question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy question.   Fantasy question. EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 4:04 pm

OK I unerstand better, it seems like there is a battle phase, and then another "We automaticly kick your butt Because there are more of us" Does this make tomb king armies doomed to lose combats aganst Armies like skaven?
Back to top Go down
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

Fantasy question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy question.   Fantasy question. EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 4:27 pm

it isnt a set thing evne a single person can sin combat but it just requires them to kill a lot more, the best advice I can say is read the combat section of the rule book, that should make understanding it far easier than anyone can explain it,

and rember there is a limit to how much bonus you can get from ranks and outnumbering
Back to top Go down
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

Fantasy question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy question.   Fantasy question. EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 4:57 pm

sometimes the rules don't make sense, other times they do. I had a 300 point assassin jump into a fight, kill the general, then get run down by skeletons. It is all part of game balancing, trying to make things as even across the board as possible. Some mechanics don't make sense, like nights on wings horses with big lances aren't as scarey as 5 goblins hitting you in the side. scirmishers can't cancel ranks and if you fly, you are a scirmisher. But like any other game, you take the bad with the good and play if it is overall an enjoyable experience.
Back to top Go down
Sexiest_hero
Initiate
Initiate

Fantasy question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy question.   Fantasy question. EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 7:03 am

I see well that eases my mind a little thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fantasy question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy question.   Fantasy question. Empty

Back to top Go down

Fantasy question.
Page 1 of 1