CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Regarding heavy weapon teams and "count as" rule

Go down 
+2
Bojesphob
archite666
6 posters
AuthorMessage
archite666
Initiate
Initiate

Regarding heavy weapon teams and "count as" rule Empty
PostSubject: Regarding heavy weapon teams and "count as" rule   Regarding heavy weapon teams and "count as" rule EmptySat Dec 27, 2008 6:52 pm

So Iv always been a bit confused by this even playing guard for several years Iv never seen a actual rule on this. Heavy weapon teams come with a large base, however in some blisters they come on a single base, now when i'm making a heavy weapon squad I like them, however when im adding a heavy weapon team to a infantry squad I really dont like the look of having 2 men on a large base with the other 8 on normal bases. I was curious if anyone knows the exact reference for this.

Secondly I was curious as to the "counts as" rule as I'm doing several lasgun varients and what not in my army, So I need clarification.
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Regarding heavy weapon teams and "count as" rule   Regarding heavy weapon teams and "count as" rule EmptySat Dec 27, 2008 11:34 pm

Well, as I've understood it (and I've played Guard some, not a lot though) is that the large base is only to signify the amount of space two guys take up with a large weapon sitting with them. They used to not even come with a base, way back in the day. But, if you really wanted to, you could put both guys on a normal base and connect the lascannon/heavy bolter/autocannon to one of the guys. It wouldn't look much better IMO, but it would eliminate the larger base. I prefer the larger base, personally, but that's only because it helps, in my mind, to distinguish them from the rest of the squad.

as to the counts as, what exactly is your question? Are you asking if you can make some variants of lasguns that look different, but that are basically just that, lasguns? If that's the case, you can do that as long as you use the base stats for the lasgun when you are shooting with them (ie, you don't say "Well, these laseguns have an AP of 1, even though I only paid for them to count as normal lasguns"). Does that answer your question?
Back to top Go down
archite666
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Regarding heavy weapon teams and "count as" rule   Regarding heavy weapon teams and "count as" rule EmptySun Dec 28, 2008 1:16 am

I guess my question is, as to what extreme can I modify weapons? For instance, I want to use scout shotguns, because they look awesome but can I still call them lasguns?

What is the exact rule as to how much I can modify my weapons?
Back to top Go down
Chethrok_Bloodfist
Neophyte
Chethrok_Bloodfist

PostSubject: Re: Regarding heavy weapon teams and "count as" rule   Regarding heavy weapon teams and "count as" rule EmptySun Dec 28, 2008 1:36 am

As long as you're still using the profile of a lasgun, anything goes (as long as you're not using something that is already another option, like a flamer, or something outrageous, like a missile launcher). If you're gonna sub in scout shotguns, the main thing you need to worry about is consistency - if you're going to use shotguns as lasguns, make sure all lasgun-armed models have shotguns, because mixing and matching might confuse the opponent.

Back in the old days, guardsmen had the option to take a lasgun or autogun. The autogun was exactly the same thing as a lasgun (same profile and everything, basically interchangeable), but it was a pathetic version of the autocannon instead of a pathetic version of the lascannon. So shotguns aren't too out of the ordinary.
Back to top Go down
Affliction
Forum Moderator
Affliction

PostSubject: Re: Regarding heavy weapon teams and "count as" rule   Regarding heavy weapon teams and "count as" rule EmptySun Dec 28, 2008 2:57 pm

This question and answer should really be based on how are you going to play with this army. If it is just in the local gaming store then you could probably pull it off as most people don't care. If you would try to play in a tournament they would probably tell you NO if it were just a shotgun replacement. The WYSIWYG rule states there can be no confusion about what you are modifying. Because there is a "shotgun" in game regardless if IG can have it or not would be confusing to someone who has never read the IG codex. Now if you took the shotgun and modified it so it used the base form of the original but didn't look like one then you would probably be alright. The WYSIWYG rule is really subjective on who is running the tournament as it may be OK for one but not another. So just be nice to the tournament organizers and it should go good for you.
Back to top Go down
http://theblackparade2010.blogspot.com/
Mike Leon
Forum Moderator
Mike Leon

PostSubject: Re: Regarding heavy weapon teams and "count as" rule   Regarding heavy weapon teams and "count as" rule EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 11:18 pm

Also, I believe you are actually required now to mount models on the bases they came with.

This could affect your situation. It could not. I don't know what kinds of bases come in the box.

Chad is right though. Probably nobody outside the tournament scene is going to care what you do to your models.
Back to top Go down
http://whowritesthisstuff.net/
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Regarding heavy weapon teams and "count as" rule   Regarding heavy weapon teams and "count as" rule EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 1:38 pm

Yeah you mount on the base it comes with... most of the new ones come on the large single bases.
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com
archite666
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Regarding heavy weapon teams and "count as" rule   Regarding heavy weapon teams and "count as" rule EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 1:50 pm

Good to know.

Will begin working on my new army and list shortly after may 2nd. I have enough money I plan to just buy a whole new one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Regarding heavy weapon teams and "count as" rule   Regarding heavy weapon teams and "count as" rule Empty

Back to top Go down

Regarding heavy weapon teams and "count as" rule
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Warhammer 40k :: 40k Rules Questions & Discussion-
Jump to: