CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Parties, What makes a good one? Who to invite?...etc...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Qoltar
Initiate
Initiate
Qoltar

Parties, What makes a good one? Who to invite?...etc... Empty
PostSubject: Parties, What makes a good one? Who to invite?...etc...   Parties, What makes a good one? Who to invite?...etc... EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 11:04 pm

Parties.

NOT political Parties.

The kind of parties with refreshments, entertainment of some kind and people invited to it.

What do you folks prefer?

What do you think makes a good party?

How much preparation?

Is impromptu better?

If invites are sent out - how far in adavance?

What has worked for you in the past?

Prefer to be the host/hostess?

..or just help the host a little bit?

Drinks -

Non-alcoholic, juices, soda-pop, coffees?
-OR-
Alcoholic drinks available?

- Ed C.
Back to top Go down
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Parties, What makes a good one? Who to invite?...etc...   Parties, What makes a good one? Who to invite?...etc... EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 9:39 am

First party Ed? LOL
Back to top Go down
CaelynTek
Initiate
Initiate
CaelynTek

PostSubject: Re: Parties, What makes a good one? Who to invite?...etc...   Parties, What makes a good one? Who to invite?...etc... EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 10:06 am

I'll tell you the facts of my most successful party.

It was in 1997, a halloween party on a Saturday night.

I made invitations on a computer that had a word search game on it. The word search was to try to find the most number of mythological gods and goddess names, and the person who found the most would win a prize.

The party was set to have free liquor and mixed drinks, and people were invited to bring their own beer or cider.

Of course it was also a costume party and there was a prize offered for the best costume by popular vote.

I had live music being played in the attic of our 3 flat for the whole night by a band thrown together by a friend of mine who was a regular at the night club I went to.

I had Halloween party favors ordered via mail order, things like spider rings, orange and black silly straws and various other oddities and I had halloween candy in a big jack-o-lantern bowl sitting just inside the door.

I distributed my invitations at two different nightclubs I was a regular at, I had printed out 100 invitations, and with my friends help they were all distrubuted to nightclub REGULARS, no strangers, but not all close friends.

With 100 invitations, I expected 30 to show up.

In the end 40+ showed up to the party and it was a smash... a great success and the only big party I ever threw. It was wild but not crazy, and everyone had fun.

I attribute the party's success to the fact that it was a Halloween party, but it wasn't thrown on actual Halloween (Which is when people usually went to night clubs for costume contests) Also the live music and free alcohol helped and judging by the number on people who turned in the word search for the contest, I'm guessing that helped too. People, even adults, like games and contests, almost as much as they like alcohol. Smile

Bear in mind that the pool of people I was drawing from at the nightclubs I went to, were Goths, Punks, and New Wave fans... so the Halloween theme was very popular, and the friends I had enlisted to hand out invitations knew a LOT of people.

So that's "best party" story.... hope you can get some ideas from it.
Back to top Go down
http://miniblog.caelyntek.com
Qoltar
Initiate
Initiate
Qoltar

PostSubject: Re: Parties, What makes a good one? Who to invite?...etc...   Parties, What makes a good one? Who to invite?...etc... EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 11:24 am

CJ wrote:
First party Ed? LOL

Actually no.

Back in the early '90s I used to host a party about once every 3 months.

- Ed C.
Back to top Go down
Mike Leon
Forum Moderator
Mike Leon

PostSubject: Re: Parties, What makes a good one? Who to invite?...etc...   Parties, What makes a good one? Who to invite?...etc... EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 7:37 pm

You have to have free drinks, because most people are alcoholics and you have to invite about 5 times the number of people you actually want to come, because only 1 in 5 people actually show up.
Back to top Go down
http://whowritesthisstuff.net/
The Madman
Sergeant
Sergeant
The Madman

PostSubject: Re: Parties, What makes a good one? Who to invite?...etc...   Parties, What makes a good one? Who to invite?...etc... EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 8:11 pm

Preperation...?

sometimes a Month....
depending on how "Clean" or "Neat your place is

I have a 2 year old, my wife is a teacher and me ... well....
so to starighten up our home for a party, like we did for the Star Wars Collectors club, took us about a month of serious weekend cleanings...
we had like 20-30 people in our home at various intervals and lengths of time
I have a small place so moving some furnature into the garage and utility room was a must

like Mike said, Drinks are a must too
the amount and 'quality' is dependant upon who is your target party goer

Me- I keep a few of MY prefered liquer & wine choices on the bar always, so not a big deal.. drink what I like or ... well get over it
a general selection of Soda (preferably those that mix well with Booze)
and a few diet choices too

beer is often hit or miss
I don't mind asking those 'close to me' if they would help bring in what they like to share
Bottles over cans; more cleanup but less 'tacky', most folks prefer to hold their drink that way and spill them less often Wink

snackes, that are easily to make, fairly sanitary to keep out and common
small, bite sized selections and a few sweets too (sugery sweets can help keep the buzz going from the booze) cookies pre sliced brownies or cakes
Back to top Go down
http://www.cincyrec.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parties, What makes a good one? Who to invite?...etc...   Parties, What makes a good one? Who to invite?...etc... Empty

Back to top Go down

Parties, What makes a good one? Who to invite?...etc...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: General :: The open house-
Jump to: