CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey

Go down 
+17
kainthedragoonx
beckmd
Carl_Dillon
Frank
Mike Leon
Lord of Change
CJ
Dayth
Korrova
FrostFirus
Lost Boyz
Bojesphob
JimmyJ
thorgrim
noblejester
wittdooley
Stinkyninja
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey   What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 9:48 am

For individual models, they are on par. A metal mini for a regular sized guy in both is around 12 bucks.

The big difference though is that to get in a good game of Hordes or Warmachine, you, at minimum, need about 3 minis. GW, if you want to play, say IG, and do a 1000 point army, you need more than 3. That's where the disconnect comes from. You want a big game of WM/H, you need around 10 minis. You want a big game of 40k (again, IG or Orks for example), you can need upwards of 200 minis!! GW is pushing to make everybody have 100+ mini armies, which maximizes their profit, and then they do a price increase. PP makes it easy to get games in with 3 minis....

Privateer Press seems to have a more player friendly outlook when it comes to pricing and how much stuff you need to buy to get into the game...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey   What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 9:56 am

Really? A big game is only 10 minis for Hordes/WM? I thought it was more like 20.

Of the 10 how many are Jacks/Monsters @ $30 to $40 each?

IN all fairness IG is the most expensive army out there. You can get 1000pts of Demons for $200 fairly easily.
Back to top Go down
Carl_Dillon
Forum Moderator
Carl_Dillon

PostSubject: Re: What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey   What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 11:21 am

John Gemrich wrote:
Really? A big game is only 10 minis for Hordes/WM? I thought it was more like 20.

IN all fairness IG is the most expensive army out there. You can get 1000pts of Demons for $200 fairly easily.

Qty Product Price
1 Legion of Everblight: Shr $7.99
1 Legion of Everblight: Ser $16.99
2 Legion of Everblight: She $15.98
1 Legion of Everblight: Epi $11.99
2 Legion of Everblight: Scy $67.98
1 Legion of Everblight: Spe $9.99
Subtotal $130.92

That was retail for the army that beat me last night. It had two large beasts and in some packs there were multiple figures, some of which were not used. This is just an example to answer your question
Back to top Go down
Mike Leon
Forum Moderator
Mike Leon

PostSubject: Re: What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey   What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 12:36 pm

Carl_Dillon wrote:
John Gemrich wrote:

Qty Product Price
1 Legion of Everblight: Shr $7.99
1 Legion of Everblight: Ser $16.99
2 Legion of Everblight: She $15.98
1 Legion of Everblight: Epi $11.99
2 Legion of Everblight: Scy $67.98
1 Legion of Everblight: Spe $9.99
Subtotal $130.92

That was retail for the army that beat me last night. It had two large beasts and in some packs there were multiple figures, some of which were not used. This is just an example to answer your question

How many points is that?
Back to top Go down
http://whowritesthisstuff.net/
beckmd
Neophyte
beckmd

PostSubject: Re: What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey   What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 12:48 pm

That's 31 points (25 pt army with warlock), but it is missing some extra dollars for the warlock.
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey   What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 12:57 pm

question: I thought warmachine is played at the 50/100 level...
Back to top Go down
http://www.aowcinci.com
wittdooley
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
wittdooley

PostSubject: Re: What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey   What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 1:01 pm

Yeah, a 25 pt Warmachine game is like playing a 1000 point 40k game.
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey   What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 1:02 pm

wittdooley wrote:
Yeah, a 25 pt Warmachine game is like playing a 1000 point 40k game.

I can get a 1K space marine army for right around 90.00. Black Reach anyone? bounce
Back to top Go down
wittdooley
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
wittdooley

PostSubject: Re: What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey   What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 1:03 pm

Touche' sir.
Back to top Go down
Lord of Change
Neophyte
Lord of Change

PostSubject: Re: What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey   What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 1:33 pm

It's actually worse than Carl showed. I used pLylith and she is only available in the battlebox. ($50) (But you'll get the Shredder in it as well.)

the list was:
pLylith -6
2xScythean 18
2x Shepherd 2
Spell Martyr 1
Seraph 8
Shredder 2

Pricy, but I don't think I've ever paid full retail. (Barring Gencon releases)

@CJ Dude, I wish I could do that. My Demons haven't won a game since the 3rd round of the league. My last opponent forfeited. I haven't gotten my preferred wave in about 8 games in a row.

@kainthedragoonx Could you make a legal list with one tac Marine unit? (two have weapons you can only get in a 10 man unit) Hmm, I guess you could use Space wolves or Blood Angels. Dread could be a troop with the angels and I think wolves can get the weapons in 5 man units. Not sure, though.
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey   What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 1:46 pm

Warmachine/Hordes is on par with 40k $$wise imo ...where it separates itself is with Warhammer Fantasy. Prices/paint time to field 3000pts under the new edition is insane for a player. Plus Warmahordes is easy on the clock, space and terrain required.

I will keep my Black Legion regardless, but my Fantasy Daemons are toast.... Daemonettes anyone?
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/

PostSubject: Re: What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey   What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 2:15 pm

Thanks guys....that is what I thought. WH/Hordes isn't a pick up due to price point per game.
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey   What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 3:24 pm

BrianL wrote:

@kainthedragoonx Could you make a legal list with one tac Marine unit? (two have weapons you can only get in a 10 man unit) Hmm, I guess you could use Space wolves or Blood Angels. Dread could be a troop with the angels and I think wolves can get the weapons in 5 man units. Not sure, though.

Fair point. I didn't communicate the "trade part" where you trade the orcs that come in the box for more marines, or the marines for more orcs. My bad.

I was just pointing out that 40K is reasonably priced compared to PP.
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey   What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 3:26 pm

Marc wrote:
Warmachine/Hordes is on par with 40k $$wise imo ...where it separates itself is with Warhammer Fantasy. Prices/paint time to field 3000pts under the new edition is insane for a player. Plus Warmahordes is easy on the clock, space and terrain required.

I will keep my Black Legion regardless, but my Fantasy Daemons are toast.... Daemonettes anyone?

I think that discussion is best moved to a different part of the forum. I could argue this for months. clown
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey   What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 3:40 pm

Speaking of cheap army builds....

Where are those cheap armies on clearance from Bert and his brother. I keep checking the market but ain't seen it yet.

I guess it was all just NERD RAGE. I bet he still has his 1997 Mega MTG deck too.. refering to it as "his precicious".

What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey - Page 2 15_fatwolvie
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey   What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 4:16 pm

Back to top Go down
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey   What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 5:07 pm

John!!!! QUIT SHOWING MY NACHO EATING OUTFIT!!!!! Gawd! You said you were not going to post that!

Differance between Warmachine/Hordes and 40k??

I don't see Carnifex's going up to Dred's and tossing them across the board....
Back to top Go down
altahara
Sergeant
Sergeant
altahara

PostSubject: Re: What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey   What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 8:21 pm

ok.. So reading this it seems that one persons upset at a decision has turned iBad...

I was there for the decision and it was in NO WAY motivated by the 'good 'ol boys club' mentality.. The guy at yotta (I dont know his name But brian was there too) was agonizing over the decision and didnt want to make it because of the possibility of looking this way. The strength of schedule seems like a good idea since VPs were not recorded.. The one making the decision was tempted to not even run the finals because the decision was going to suck.. So hating on the game or on YottaQuest/its mgt team.. Seems kinda Juvenile.. Its a game.. There are calls we question in every game.. Either get over it and play with someone else.. Or go be pissy and dont play ever again..

My two cents.. Hrmn.. well my two cents are.. If Yotta holds another league ill sign up.. If you dont.. then well i have one less opponent to play against..

In no way am i part of a good ole boys club either.. I am the black sheep.. lol just ask anyone..

Back to top Go down
Polio
Neophyte
Polio

PostSubject: Re: What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey   What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 11:58 pm

Hurray for a first post!

I'm usually more of a forum troller than a poster but I wanted to weigh in on this topic. I suppose I could be grouped in the "Good Ol Boys" (GOB) category although I'm not a huge fan of tourny's as I prefer pickup game or huge multi-player scenario games. I spend most weekends up there doing more BSing and painting 40k than actually playing. Its been my FLGS for awhile now so I know the staff. I suppose having a friendly relationship with the employees makes one a GOB. The store is small with a small 40k community which I suppose leads to a "clique" group of people. The same thing happens in school and at work, that's the world we live in. But I'd say most at YQ are friendly enough. To the threadstarter, I'm really sorry that you had a bad experience and I hope it doesn't keep you or others from dropping dice at YQ. Like I said, it's a small group of players usually and I love to see more people up there playing (well, non-tourny games so I'd play Smile ). Yeah, when you go anywhere you'll meet your usual jackwads but I'd say for the most part everyone there is just looking for a good game.
Back to top Go down
Stinkyninja
Neophyte
Stinkyninja

PostSubject: Re: What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey   What makes 40k a bad game an exposition of my journey - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 9:22 pm

WOE Holy Poo Poo Man !!!

How bout a clearing of the air a bit here...

I wasn't really jacked up at all until I read the emails and recieved the phone calls from ppl I met in 40k and my friends who for the most part- Have never been gamers.

I was totally stoked to get my friends finally hooked into a solid game. Granted I didnt fully understand the bumping of me but hey did pretty good for my first run.

Alot of the tongue lashing on my part was a rehashing of what I read and NO, I'm not going to throw there hit pieces up that torked me.Thus the term good ole boy was used and so on. If there needs to be a monkey in the cage slinging Doo Doo let it be me.

The thing that got me was my friends leaving only halfway through there builds. One of which posted directly after wittdooley.I guess he was defending me due to my Pop passing not too long ago. No biggie wittdooley was just being funny as usual here.He doesnt know me or my friend who was one of the people I was referring too...
Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Now up to that point The truth is I was taken care of in the learning and building of my Armies by the staff over at Yottaquest. Verywell indeed and was also taken care of a year and a half prior to my leap into 40k. Thus the reason for me only dealing with them excusively. When diving into the hobby...
Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Special Thanx to Ryan for clearing the air and sorry for my venting there-OK

Shocked

We all talked about it and tensions were gone. We are all gonna keep playing the game but are actively building up my garage to do so. The tourney rule set is far to expansive for novelty players such as us and I kinda dig the building and painting aspect more any way... Not that I am good at it just enjoy it. Thus the reason why I have ridiculously large armies.

side note,
whenever you deal with the public you will have discontent coming from the public at times...
While saying that I am not at odds with anyone over there just under the gun when it comes to all the different forms of play concerning the game...

I also want to say thank you to the positive remarks made by so many people here Very Happy

To those who made negative ones you few can pretty much piss off as if I care what you think anyway.

Except for "Mike Leon" his remark was freakin' epic !!!

The whole beauty and the beast hand held comment,
Had me laughing so hard my gut was hurtin' and had a case of the laughs where no matter what you do no sound can come out...
Mike-
For this please except this video in your honor lol