CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dropzone Commander

Go down 
+4
The Madman
ThatFrogGuy
Ghaz
CJ
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

Dropzone Commander - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropzone Commander   Dropzone Commander - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 4:48 pm

I'm contemplating selling my MT:G cards through thewarstore.com in bulk and using the store credit to buy my PHR army. That way, I can have an army quick and not have to dip into my accounts for it, well, and not have to wait for after I buy Cang the Implacable with my commission money. I selected the cards that I know I have off the top of my head (about 20-30 cards) and that puts me over 130 bucks, so I'm sure that once I go through and put all of the ones that I can't think of in, I might have over 200 bucks worth of store credit to get the starter box and a bunch of extras! Maybe buying all of those magic cards and not actually playing them was worthwhile!
Back to top Go down
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Dropzone Commander   Dropzone Commander - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 2:37 pm

JTPitt wrote:
I have the starter box of the Shaltari which I love and have started painting up with a color scheme close to the original but with some modifications to it to make it my own...lol. Get your game on!!!!

Im going to be putting together a local data base of people who are playing......that way I know who is all playing.

Sean, this enought to warrent a seperate thread at all??
Back to top Go down
Ghaz
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: Dropzone Commander   Dropzone Commander - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 10:25 am

Bojesphob wrote:
Well, while I don't get out and game much, for me, it isn't how long I'm driving that is the thing for me, it's the game experience itself.

Now, don't get me wrong, I like Warhammer, 40k, Warmahordes, etc, but I have a difficult time wrapping my head around the strategy of them. And that usually equates to me not doing well, and when you lost 99% of the games you play in these systems, it's easy to get to the point where you don't enjoy it anymore. Driving 40 minutes to play a game that you're horrible at and end up losing every time you play it is hard to justify, especially when your drive to work typically takes around 10 minutes in busy traffic. Well, that and when the town you come from, when you drive for 30 minutes, you end up more than 30 miles away, driving 30 minutes to go 10-15 miles is rather frustrating.... lol But 30 miles here, as Ghaz said he is away from Cincy, could actually be over an hour drive, depending on where he's coming from, and if you've only got 3 hours to get a game in, I can see how you'd not want to spend 2 hours of it driving.

Eventually, I am going to get into Dropzone Commander, and if none of the local stores are going to carry it, I will more than likely order from online. But, at least at the moment, EGC and AoW seem to be carrying them, and that means that one or both will get my business when I get the money to get into it. I'll try that system out and see if I enjoy it as a game or not, but even if I don't, I do like a number of the minis, and will at least have a well painted army to display! Thankfully, though, I have to wait to get into it because of finances, and that may hopefully allow Hawk Games to catch up on demand.

But, I'm not in gaming particularly because of the games themselves, as everybody who knows me is aware of, I do it for the painting, so maybe my opinion isn't all that relevant.

This sounds a lot like my situation, except it was more of the timing than the distance at first. I've played maybe a dozen times since the store I was a regular at (Arena Games on Vine Street in Carthage) closed in 2002. Working second shift my only free time to play was always Saturday afternoon and there wasn't a whole lot of options so I sort of drifted away from actual gaming. Now that there's more options in Cincy, I find that I'm more interested in just the hobby aspect than actually gaming an even that sometimes seems like a chore since I only have time to paint after I get home from work at 10 pm at night. Distance only really mattered since it cuts into the budget for purchasing more minis. It was 30 miles from my home when I was living in Hebron to Carthage when I regularly played, but of course gas was only $1.25 back then as well. It's not really the distance or length of time it takes to get to these stores, but when I can get there (plus not having an army) that keeps me from playing regularly.

So now that I'm done rambling Rolling Eyes does either AoW or EGC have the main rules in stock at this time?
Back to top Go down
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Dropzone Commander   Dropzone Commander - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 5:55 pm

Ghaz wrote:
Bojesphob wrote:
Well, while I don't get out and game much, for me, it isn't how long I'm driving that is the thing for me, it's the game experience itself.

Now, don't get me wrong, I like Warhammer, 40k, Warmahordes, etc, but I have a difficult time wrapping my head around the strategy of them. And that usually equates to me not doing well, and when you lost 99% of the games you play in these systems, it's easy to get to the point where you don't enjoy it anymore. Driving 40 minutes to play a game that you're horrible at and end up losing every time you play it is hard to justify, especially when your drive to work typically takes around 10 minutes in busy traffic. Well, that and when the town you come from, when you drive for 30 minutes, you end up more than 30 miles away, driving 30 minutes to go 10-15 miles is rather frustrating.... lol But 30 miles here, as Ghaz said he is away from Cincy, could actually be over an hour drive, depending on where he's coming from, and if you've only got 3 hours to get a game in, I can see how you'd not want to spend 2 hours of it driving.

Eventually, I am going to get into Dropzone Commander, and if none of the local stores are going to carry it, I will more than likely order from online. But, at least at the moment, EGC and AoW seem to be carrying them, and that means that one or both will get my business when I get the money to get into it. I'll try that system out and see if I enjoy it as a game or not, but even if I don't, I do like a number of the minis, and will at least have a well painted army to display! Thankfully, though, I have to wait to get into it because of finances, and that may hopefully allow Hawk Games to catch up on demand.

But, I'm not in gaming particularly because of the games themselves, as everybody who knows me is aware of, I do it for the painting, so maybe my opinion isn't all that relevant.

This sounds a lot like my situation, except it was more of the timing than the distance at first. I've played maybe a dozen times since the store I was a regular at (Arena Games on Vine Street in Carthage) closed in 2002. Working second shift my only free time to play was always Saturday afternoon and there wasn't a whole lot of options so I sort of drifted away from actual gaming. Now that there's more options in Cincy, I find that I'm more interested in just the hobby aspect than actually gaming an even that sometimes seems like a chore since I only have time to paint after I get home from work at 10 pm at night. Distance only really mattered since it cuts into the budget for purchasing more minis. It was 30 miles from my home when I was living in Hebron to Carthage when I regularly played, but of course gas was only $1.25 back then as well. It's not really the distance or length of time it takes to get to these stores, but when I can get there (plus not having an army) that keeps me from playing regularly.

So now that I'm done rambling Rolling Eyes does either AoW or EGC have the main rules in stock at this time?

Check with Clint......if not, I know they can get it for you
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Dropzone Commander   Dropzone Commander - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 10:38 am

I was over at EGC on Saturday, and I think he had the Shaltari premium starter army, but I didn't see any of the rulebooks. Of course, I wasn't there specifically for that, but I was going to flip through it while I was there, and didn't see one. I'm sure if you wanted to flip through one, though, that Clint would let you, or even Jon Pittman if he has it with him. From discussions with them, it seems like the mechanics are really easy to learn and actually make sense. Here's hoping I get a reply from thewarstore about trading in my MtG cards. The site gave me an estimate of 294 bucks after their 30% store credit deal, and that will get me almost the entire contents of the Mega army deal from Hawk. There would still be some that I would need to get, but I'd have the majority of the minis for PHR at that point. I've also thought about splitting it up and using half for PHR and half for UCM, as well, though it will entirely depend on whether they want to buy all the cards I want to get rid of.
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Dropzone Commander   Dropzone Commander - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 9:37 am

They agreed to buy the cards, so I have shipped them off, and I have a tentative 292 dollars to spend on PHR Smile Now to figure out what I want.... lol
Back to top Go down
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Dropzone Commander   Dropzone Commander - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 9:43 am

Bojesphob wrote:
They agreed to buy the cards, so I have shipped them off, and I have a tentative 292 dollars to spend on PHR Smile Now to figure out what I want.... lol

Mega army is your best bet.......you'll never have to spend money again....lol
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Dropzone Commander   Dropzone Commander - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 10:55 am

Yeah, I'll try to get as close to the mega army as I can get for that. I think I'll be about 70 bucks worth of minis short, but will be able to pick that up whenever I see the need to. Thing is, I get 80 dollars more from doing in store credit for those MtG cards, so I am doing that and ordering through the warstore's site, and they don't have the mega army deal. But, I won't be too disappointed to have to spend another 70-80 bucks to get to the mega deal, when I didn't have to spend anything out of pocket to get the first 300 bucks worth! To get the mega, I would have to spend about another 180 if I didn't take the store credit and ordered directly from Hawk.
Back to top Go down
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Dropzone Commander   Dropzone Commander - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 1:39 pm

Bojesphob wrote:
Yeah, I'll try to get as close to the mega army as I can get for that. I think I'll be about 70 bucks worth of minis short, but will be able to pick that up whenever I see the need to. Thing is, I get 80 dollars more from doing in store credit for those MtG cards, so I am doing that and ordering through the warstore's site, and they don't have the mega army deal. But, I won't be too disappointed to have to spend another 70-80 bucks to get to the mega deal, when I didn't have to spend anything out of pocket to get the first 300 bucks worth! To get the mega, I would have to spend about another 180 if I didn't take the store credit and ordered directly from Hawk.

True.....only downfall is now you have the wait...LOL

Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Dropzone Commander   Dropzone Commander - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 1:56 pm

Tell me about it! lol But, I really didn't think I'd be able to get extra money to do this, and realized I could trade in the valuable Magic cards that I had to get them.

So, most places are still waiting for another shipment of these minis, right? The site says they are only taking preorders for "wave 2", so I guess that means when I get a final accounting of the cards from them, I'll have to wait to actually get the order filled.... But, I'm a patient person Smile
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: Dropzone Commander   Dropzone Commander - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 4:29 pm

Bojesphob wrote:

So, most places are still waiting for another shipment of these minis, right? The site says they are only taking preorders for "wave 2", so I guess that means when I get a final accounting of the cards from them, I'll have to wait to actually get the order filled.... But, I'm a patient person Smile

This is correct. seems to be an issue around the globe for the game.
Back to top Go down
http://www.aowcinci.com
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Dropzone Commander   Dropzone Commander - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 4:49 pm

That's ok though. I emailed them and they said that they get sporadic shipments, but he didn't sound too concerned that I wouldn't be able to get what I wanted in a reasonable time frame. I also decided that I was going to split the money between UCM and PHR, that way it might make getting the order a little less of a hassle, including the starter box for both, as I've heard the starter boxes are easier to come by. This way, too, I can try out both armies and see which I like better, and I might even be able to get some friends interested if I've got two armies and can play one or the either Smile

Though, can't the USPS go quicker? I sent the box to them yesterday, and I want them to have it now! What? Email, text messaging and what not is making us impatient as a society?? Naw.....
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Dropzone Commander   Dropzone Commander - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 11:49 am

So, it all went through, and I got full credit for the cards I sent in. I just placed my order, and I ended up getting some of both the UCM and PHR armies. I pretty much got the starter army and some other minis that I liked from each one. This is what I ordered:

UCM
Starter Army (3x Condor Medium Dropships, 3x Sabre main battle tanks, 3x Rapier AA tanks, 2x Bear APCs,
6x Colonial Legionnaires stands, card deck)
1x Albatross Heavy Dropship
2x Gladius heavy battle tanks
2x Falcon Gunships

PHR
Starter Army (3x Neptune medium dropships, 2x Ares battle walkers, 2x Phobos battle walkers, 2x Juno A1 APCs,
4x Immortals stands, card deck)
1x Athena air superiority fighter
2x Taranis MLRS battery
1x Poseidon heavy dropship

Hopefully they can get the order pretty quick, cause I'm excited to get em!
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Dropzone Commander   Dropzone Commander - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 10:19 am

Still waiting on the main shipment from thewarstore... They still haven't gotten a restock yet. But, I found some sellers on eBay that had gotten some stock, and in a fit of impatience to get something to paint in this game system, I bought another Falcon gunship pack, a Triton A2 PHR dropship pack, and the Seraphim UCM fighter. The Falcon from that auction is being delivered today (yay!) and the other stuff will hopefully be here by Friday. So, in the next, say, week, I will have a couple minis posted with the paint schemes that I want to use on them.

The schemes I am thinking of using are:
UCM - I bought the paint set for the German Armor for Flames of War
Dropzone Commander - Page 2 GPS02
Dropzone Commander - Page 2 GPS02a
and am even thinking about getting a cheap airbrush to get the pattern down. I think this will look really good on them.

PHR - Will be black with the lines on the armor being a bright blue (like Ice Blue from the old GW paint range) and then take the Necron Abyss base from the old Foundation paints and highlight with that, then have another highlight that's a little lighter on that.
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Dropzone Commander   Dropzone Commander - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 3:21 pm

thewarstore is telling me they should have the minis in sometime this week! I can't wait Smile

I've already got an UCM Seraphim model, 2 Falcons, 4 Wolverines, 2 PHR Triton A2's, 2 Juno A2's, 2 Hyperions, and 2 Zeuses that I got from eBay auctions, since I couldn't stand waiting for the main order! I'll still have a lot I want to get once I get the main order, but this has helped tide me over until I get the bulk of the armies. I'll have to finish my commissions so that I can start painting these up! Smile
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Dropzone Commander   Dropzone Commander - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 3:13 pm

Wow, I'm the only one posted in this thread now, lol.

I just got the confirmation saying that my order is now in stock and it will ship out in 1-3 business days! Now all I need is the rulebook and I'll be set! Hopefully I get my commissions painted quickly so I have some time to dedicate to these fine minis! Smile
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: Dropzone Commander   Dropzone Commander - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 9:05 am

Bojesphob wrote:
Wow, I'm the only one posted in this thread now, lol.

I just got the confirmation saying that my order is now in stock and it will ship out in 1-3 business days! Now all I need is the rulebook and I'll be set! Hopefully I get my commissions painted quickly so I have some time to dedicate to these fine minis! Smile

Some of us just don't have anything to talk about. I'm still waiting to get my DZC models back from my Gencon F-up. alien
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Dropzone Commander   Dropzone Commander - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 9:08 am

Well, it seems that David must be getting caught up with the production, as I've seen a number of places get orders in online, looking out of curiosity. I just can't wait to get the order Smile It's marked to come in tomorrow, so I'm getting all antsy lol
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: Dropzone Commander   Dropzone Commander - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 9:12 am

Bojesphob wrote:
Well, it seems that David must be getting caught up with the production, as I've seen a number of places get orders in online, looking out of curiosity. I just can't wait to get the order Smile It's marked to come in tomorrow, so I'm getting all antsy lol

Yeah I'm pretty stoked about it too. I've really only play demo level games...but I've got some people at Art of War interested in playing so I'm pretty pumped for some "real" games! cat
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Dropzone Commander   Dropzone Commander - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 10:04 am

I've got the minis! Smile I'm all excited! I only spent about an hour last night working on them, but I got about 10 of the minis already assembled lol As I get done with commissions, I'll have more time to assemble and paint, but I'll definitely post my WIP progress pictures as I get them taken. I am SOO stoked about these minis! I can't wait to get some games in!
Back to top Go down
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Dropzone Commander   Dropzone Commander - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 11:46 am

PHR starter on the way and I already have a list of other things I want.....

I hate you Joe....lol
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Dropzone Commander   Dropzone Commander - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 1:11 pm

I am nothing if not persuasive, especially when I'm not trying to be apparently LOL
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: Dropzone Commander   Dropzone Commander - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 1:29 pm

I finally got my UCM and PHR models. yay! Very Happy Where are you suckers planning on playing at?
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Dropzone Commander   Dropzone Commander - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 2:03 pm

I know that I will at least be waiting a couple weeks before trying to get any games in. I'm pretty busy with work, and I've got some painting commissions I need to finish in the next two weeks.... But, once things settle down a bit, I'll be able to start getting some games in. I've actually been thinking about setting up a table in my basement, since I'm on the west side of town (close to where CJ lives), and that would give us a decent place to play when we aren't up for going all the way over to the East side. But, on occasions I'll be making the trek over that way.
Back to top Go down
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Dropzone Commander   Dropzone Commander - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 3:33 pm

Kain...I'll be back n forth....you know that....some of these days that the wife closes I'll be able to knock out some infinity and a few dropzone games in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dropzone Commander   Dropzone Commander - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dropzone Commander
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next