CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

1850 Necron List

Go down 
+3
Matt
HAND OF DUME
Warmonger
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

1850 Necron List Empty
PostSubject: 1850 Necron List   1850 Necron List EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 12:48 pm

Looking for some feedback.

52 Necrons 39 killed for Phase out.

Are smaller units of warriors better as they are likely to get caught up in a sweeping advance more often now?

Thanks

Lord (195)
Destroyer Body
Phylactery
Resurection Orb
Warscythe

Immortals x 8 (224)
Warriors x 12 (216)
Warriors x 12 (216)
Warriors x 12 (216)

Destroyers x3 (150)
Heavy Destroyer x1 (60)

Tomb Spyder x2 (110)
Scarabs Swarms x 6 + discruption field. (96)
Back to top Go down
Warmonger
Initiate
Initiate
Warmonger

1850 Necron List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850 Necron List   1850 Necron List EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 1:24 pm

I think smaller units are better because of the sweeping advance, but the idea is not to let that happen. Assualts are even harder for Necrons in 5th and your list is begging to get assualted. The best way to prevent that is with mobility which you are seriously lacking. Objective based games are going to be difficult.

But you say Necrons and mobility are a contradiction. Not really, with the proper set up they can be very mobile. Now at 1500 pts. you are a little bit limited. In 5th I think Necrons are better at higher point games. Your phase out is at 13 and at this point level should probably be more like 10 or 11. Also with Necrons you need redundancy which you have with the warriors but nothing else (tomb spiders doen't count because of no We'll be Back).

OK, lets look at your list. Please remember that this is coming from a tourney point of view. Your Lords set up I like for a secondary HQ choice but not the primary (I actually prefer a phase shifter over the phylactory) as it really doesn't jell with your current list. He seems to be set up for assualts but has no assualt support. Necrons are more of a shooty army and your long range fire support is lacking. I like Immortals but at this point level I don't. Destroyers you need more! Drop the Heavy destroyer because one isn't enough (they cost 65 pts but I think thats just a typo on your list)

I would also drop the tomb spiders for more mobile units and long range fire power. Scarabs are alright as a speed bumb, but I never had much luck with the disruption fields thou. And where is your Monolith? Even at 1500 pts. you should include one! It is absolutely the best unit they have. Just remember that the center hole of the particle whip is AP 1.

OK, this is what I would run at 1500 pts. bearing in mind you have the models.

Lord (200)
Resurection Orb
Veil of Darkness
Staff of Light

14 Warriors (252)
10 Warriors (180)
10 Warriors (180)

5 Destroyers (250)
4 Destroyers (200)

1 Monolith (235)

Your Opponent will try to ignore the Monolith mostly so as to try and force a phase out. Put the Monolith out front and make him pay for ignoring it moving it forward using its particle whip as much as possible. Also remember even thou it is a skimmer it blocks line of sight because there is no base to elavate it. Your destroyers should be out on a flank, both units together to benefit from We'll be Back. Castle up with the warriors preferably in cover and let your Destroyers and Monolith force your opponent into making mistakes.

Use the Veil and Monolith to teleport your units out of combat, capture those far away objectives and shoot up the small isolated units. Remember that the Monolith has to be 18 inches away to teleport units not the portal entrance its self. If you don't move your unit this can result in a 32 inch movement for your units. 18 inch teleport, 6 inches for coming out on the far side of the Monolith and 2 inches for deploying out of the portal and than another 6 inch normal move, very sweet.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
HAND OF DUME
Initiate
Initiate

1850 Necron List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850 Necron List   1850 Necron List EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 8:06 pm

Listen to 'monger, he definately knows what he's talking about! He'sbeen running them for along time.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

1850 Necron List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850 Necron List   1850 Necron List EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 5:20 am

I know the monolith can be seen as typical and a crutch... but with the way the current necron army list stands it really is a 'must take.'

Nice post Warmonger. Exactly what we need around here!
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com

1850 Necron List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850 Necron List   1850 Necron List EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 8:49 am

Thanks for the post warmonger and insight.

First. I forgot to list the monolith. The list is intended to be 1850 pt.

Much of your advice and what I've seen on Dakka runs a "fast" list heavy in destroyers.

Unfortunately I'm limited in my model count today so I need to dance with what I have for the momment.

I've seen lists dump the monolith and take more destoyers too.

The Particle whip is very nice but I feel like I don't have enough anti armor (1 Heavy Destroyer really doesn't help either). Can I really rely on enough Glances (by loading up destroyers) to slow down armour?

I was hoping to use the Lord w/ Destroyer body and Wraiths to get into some vehicles before they got to me. Perhaps a poor strategy.

Today I'm limited to the following.

37 Warriors, 8 Immortals, 10 Scarabs, Monolith, 3 Destroyers, 1 Heavy D, 2 Tomb Spiders, 3 Wraiths
Back to top Go down
Warmonger
Initiate
Initiate
Warmonger

1850 Necron List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850 Necron List   1850 Necron List EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 11:43 am

OK, with that in mind I would suggest running a phalanx type set up centered around your lord to maximize the orbs ability. The Phalanx is a bit more viable in 5th due to units not being able to consolidate into combat. But be careful of the multi-charge.

I would put the Monolith on one flank and the destroyers, scarabs and wraiths on the other. Keep the tomb spiders close to Phalanx to counter charge and the monolith close enough to pull units out of combat if needed. Do not make scarab swarms with the tomb spiders as this will affectively lower their toughness against shooting. One or more scarab swarms drops the toughness from 6 to 3 due to the mixed unit rules.

You might want to drop the disruption fields on the scarabs and increase their number by 2 and use them as a speed bumb for your phalanx. The disruption fields can work on vehicles but I have never had much luck with that. Player preference on that one . The wraiths could be thrown into the mix with them for some extra combat support. If it's an objective based game I would try to save the wraiths for last turn objective contesting. Wraiths can deal with armour better in 5th because you get to hit the rear armour, but I think 3 of them is too fragile. I like Wraiths and have run 3 units of 3 with a Destroyer Lord many times. It tends to really catch your oppenent off gaurd.

And yes glancing hits can do a number on vehicles in large amounts, thats what really makes the destroyers so deadly. I played against a Necron army that ran 2 units of 5 and I was using 3 Landraiders in my Chaos list. By concentrating his fire from both units he immoblised one and wrecked another by turn 3.

Good Luck and may the dice gods look favorable upon you!
Back to top Go down

1850 Necron List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850 Necron List   1850 Necron List EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 10:36 am

OK... Another spin on the list. I went and picked up some more destroyers. Here are two lists. Give them a looksy

List 1
Lord - 185
Destroyer Body
Res Orb
Phylactory

Lord - 200
Res Orb
Veil of Darkness

Warriors x10 - 180
Warriors x10 - 180
Warriors x10 - 180
Warriors x10 - 180

Destoryer x 4 - 200
Destroyer x 4 - 200
Monolith x1 - 235
Tomb Spyder x 2 = 110

Total 1850
38 necrons killed to phase out.

Is the destroyer Lord necessary in this list? Is there a better option? Should I be looking to shield the Warriors w/ a scarab unit instead?

List 2
Lord War scythe - 210
Veil
Res Orb
Destroyer x5 = 250
Destoryer x 5 =250
Necron x10 = 180 x 4 = 720
Necron x10
Necron x10
Necron x10
Scarab x 8 = 80
Immortals x 8 = 224
Wraiths x 3 = 123

Total 1840
Back to top Go down
HAND OF DUME
Initiate
Initiate

1850 Necron List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850 Necron List   1850 Necron List EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 10:59 am

I like list 1. Never been a fan of 1 HQ (in higher pt games), like in your second list.

Run the destroyer Lord with your destroyers. Maybe take off the phylactory and give him a warscythe for punch. Or take out the phylactory and tomb spiders and add the wraiths to run with him.
Back to top Go down

1850 Necron List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850 Necron List   1850 Necron List EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 12:05 pm

HAND OF DUME wrote:
I like list 1. Never been a fan of 1 HQ (in higher pt games), like in your second list.

Run the destroyer Lord with your destroyers. Maybe take off the phylactory and give him a warscythe for punch. Or take out the phylactory and tomb spiders and add the wraiths to run with him.

How vulnerable is the Lord w/ out the phylactory? I guess a Str 10 can take him out and power weapons?
Back to top Go down
Mendin
Initiate
Initiate

1850 Necron List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850 Necron List   1850 Necron List EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 1:56 pm

The Phylactery just lets him potentially WBB with more than 1 wound. As long as he has the Orb, he'll always be able to make a WBB roll (barring sweeping advance)
Back to top Go down

1850 Necron List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850 Necron List   1850 Necron List EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 2:43 pm

Mendin wrote:
The Phylactery just lets him potentially WBB with more than 1 wound. As long as he has the Orb, he'll always be able to make a WBB roll (barring sweeping advance)

oops... I meant phase shifter.
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

1850 Necron List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850 Necron List   1850 Necron List EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 2:52 pm

so I have a random question...

is playing Necrons fun?
Back to top Go down
http://www.aowcinci.com

1850 Necron List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850 Necron List   1850 Necron List EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 4:00 pm

kainthedragoonx wrote:

is playing Necrons fun?
[strikle]
I think they are like gobbos in conf.

Tough to win with consistently but they have some fun options .

Overall they are susceptible to sweeping advance so that combined with phase out makes playing them a tad tricky.
Back to top Go down
HAND OF DUME
Initiate
Initiate

1850 Necron List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850 Necron List   1850 Necron List EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 4:39 pm

John Gemrich wrote:
kainthedragoonx wrote:

is playing Necrons fun?
[strikle]
I think they are like gobbos in conf.

Tough to win with consistently but they have some fun options .

Overall they are susceptible to sweeping advance so that combined with phase out makes playing them a tad tricky.

Kevin Kirby won 'Ard Boyz 2 years ago with them.
Back to top Go down
Warmonger
Initiate
Initiate
Warmonger

1850 Necron List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850 Necron List   1850 Necron List EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 8:07 am

Yea but that was 4th ed. and the Necrons (I think anyways) were stronger in 4th. Between the vehicle damage table and troops being the only scoring unit 5th has hurt them. But just wait, in another year or so there should be a new codex and thats what I'm waiting for! Smile I have always enjoyed playing Necrons, it was my 1st army. They are what got me started in 40K.
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

1850 Necron List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850 Necron List   1850 Necron List EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 8:26 am

I am not asking winning or losing....

I just want to know if they are fun to play.

farao
Back to top Go down
Warmonger
Initiate
Initiate
Warmonger

1850 Necron List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850 Necron List   1850 Necron List EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 9:41 am

Quote :
I have always enjoyed playing Necrons, it was my 1st army. They are what got me started in 40K!

It all depends on what kind of style of play your into, just like any other army.
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

1850 Necron List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850 Necron List   1850 Necron List EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 10:44 am

sweet! cheers Just want to see what others think about the fun of the army before I drop 600 on a new army!
Back to top Go down

1850 Necron List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850 Necron List   1850 Necron List EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 1:46 pm

kainthedragoonx wrote:
sweet! cheers Just want to see what others think about the fun of the army before I drop 600 on a new army!

$600?

How many points are you getting?

I recommend.... the Phalanx (still available at the War Store for $167)

48 warriors
6 Destroyers
12 Scarabs
1 Lord
1 Monolith
If you fully point out the Lord that is a min of 1744 points.

1 Can black Spary - $5.00
1 Can silver Spray - $5.00
2 tubs of Badab Black - $6.00
2 tubs of a color for the babse - $6.00
Sand - $2.00
Glue - $1.00
Codex $25

So that is 1750 pts for $217.00. Not bad to get a flavor. Too bad all the rest of the stuff is metal (Wraiths, Immortals, Flayed Ones, and Pariahs). At $10-$12 each a 10 robot unit gets a little stiff. Howeve, you can always convert some warriors.
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

1850 Necron List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850 Necron List   1850 Necron List EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 4:07 pm

ok, now tripple that for the Apoc game TTG runs for Origins/Gencon next year! pig
Back to top Go down
Warmonger
Initiate
Initiate
Warmonger

1850 Necron List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850 Necron List   1850 Necron List EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 4:26 pm

kainthedragoonx wrote:

Quote :
ok, now tripple that for the Apoc game TTG runs for Origins/Gencon next year!

Your gonna want a Pylon Then. Those things are sweet. Back on topic , I like both lists John but would probably choose #1 because of the Monolith.

I don't think you have to run 2 HQ's with Necrons. I wouldn' think about not running 2 in my Chaos but not necessarily so with Necrons. It all depends on what your comfortable playing with and the roles that each are needed for. In list #1 you could drop the D-Lord and a tomb spider to get that nice unit of Immortals and a warscythe for the other Lord!!!

I like the Phase Shifter because it helps to prolong the time before you have to make WBB roles to stay alive. The Phylactery and Phase Shifter used together is pretty nice also.
Back to top Go down

1850 Necron List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850 Necron List   1850 Necron List EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 4:30 pm

kainthedragoonx wrote:
ok, now tripple that for the Apoc game TTG runs for Origins/Gencon next year! pig

Next Year? I plan to bring @ least 3K of painted Necrons to Gen Con 2009. If you are nice I'll bring a box of tissues for you Salamanders. afro
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

1850 Necron List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850 Necron List   1850 Necron List EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 4:34 pm

John Gemrich wrote:
kainthedragoonx wrote:

Next Year? I plan to bring @ least 3K of painted Necrons to Gen Con 2009. If you are nice I'll bring a box of tissues for you Salamanders. afro

I don't play if I cannot field my battle company. sunny 3K barely covers my Land Raiders, vindicators, Dreads and drop pods.

Gotta play min 4500! santa

just kidding, I will take call pretenders!

FOR THE EMPEROR!
Back to top Go down

1850 Necron List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850 Necron List   1850 Necron List EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 4:34 pm

Warmonger wrote:
kainthedragoonx wrote:

Your gonna want a Pylon Then. Those things are sweet.

I've been looking for one on the cheap but I think I need to go straight to FW for one.

Quote :
Back on topic , I like both lists John but would probably choose #1 because of the Monolith.

I don't think you have to run 2 HQ's with Necrons. I wouldn' think about not running 2 in my Chaos but not necessarily so with Necrons. It all depends on what your comfortable playing with and the roles that each are needed for. In list #1 you could drop the D-Lord and a tomb spider to get that nice unit of Immortals and a warscythe for the other Lord!!!

I like the Phase Shifter because it helps to prolong the time before you have to make WBB roles to stay alive. The Phylactery and Phase Shifter used together is pretty nice also.

Again... thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. I went out and beefed up my Destroyers based on it.

Wish I had time to try these out and get a little more flavor prior to Saturday. Such is life with kids. flower

Last edited by John Gemrich on Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

1850 Necron List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850 Necron List   1850 Necron List EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 4:38 pm

kainthedragoonx wrote:
John Gemrich wrote:
kainthedragoonx wrote:

I don't play if I cannot field my battle company. sunny 3K barely covers my Land Raiders, vindicators, Dreads and drop pods.

Gotta play min 4500! santa

Well... I said I would have 3K painted. I've got another Phalanx and a 3rd Monolith sitting on my door step as we speak. I think I can get them painted by then.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

1850 Necron List Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850 Necron List   1850 Necron List Empty

Back to top Go down

1850 Necron List
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next